firewall

hey all i have a WGR614v2 netgear router that has a built in fire wall in it how do i disable it and is there a program thats out that can detect firewalls??

============== Posted through

formatting link
- free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

Reply to
blazer2004
Loading thread data ...

If you have already read the manual for the Netgear WGR614v2, then you know the answer; it can't be done. This model has an SPI firewall, probably similar to the SPI firewall in my Netgear FR114P. With no user entries there is a basic default entry which the user cannot edit. There is no setting to disable this feature. Outbound is an "Allow Always" rule, while Inbound is a "Block Always" rule. There is no way to turn these off in my FR114P, and I couldn't see any entry in the WGR614v2 manual to turn these rules off.

Neither could I find anything to turn off the NAT function; but there is a place to configure a DMZ host, which should have the equivalent function of turning off NAT and SPI; assuming that you don't have any user created rules in the SPI filter.

Perhaps you could explain what you are trying to accomplish; there may be ways to do that without trying to fiddle with NAT and SPI.

Reply to
NormanM

im having problems with stuff like gamespy chat and stuff it will say im firewalled and i will lose connect same with joint operations i tend to lose connect on it with in 10 min of play i dunno whats wrong

============== Posted through

formatting link
- free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

Reply to
blazer2004

I notice that the Gamespy site has forums; have you asked there? In general, though, you will need a way to scope out the ports used to make the connections. If you run something like Zone Alarm, you could try putting your computer into the WGR614v2 DMZ, then look at your ZA logs after a Gamespy chat session. Do not expect the chat session to work perfectly. You just want to see what connections are being made, blocked, or allowed, in the logs.

You may also want to download a packet sniffer and set it to capture the packets going between your computer and the remote servers. Between the firewall logs showing you the ports in use, and the packet sniffer showing you what data is being exchanged, you might be able to figure out how to configure the SPI feature of the WG614v2 to suit your needs.

Alas, I am not inclined to much online gaming, so I am not able to identify all that information. Possibly a little research with Google will help.

Reply to
NormanM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.