Problem with Cox cable modem

A few days ago I did a full clean install of a friends computer and hooked it up to my dsl line and downloaded some needed things for him (firefox, drivers, etc.) Everything seemed fine so I returned it to him. The moment he hooked up his cable modem....he got this annoying pop up that keeps mentioning that his computer is going to crash and needs to download blah blah blah. It sounds like to me that its a pop up add. Before I erased his computer and did a clean install,....he was having this problem. So I can assume its coming from his modem or the cox network. I walked him thru downloading "Avast antivirus" and the latest "spybot". My question is........where could this thing be coming from? Should I enable his windows firewall?

E.T.

Reply to
E.T.
Loading thread data ...

It's a Windows problem. Some kind of Windows Messaging Service or something on that order. Needs to be disabled. I'm sure someone will volunteer some particulars before long.

Reply to
clifto

It sounds like he goes to a web site that in installing something. Either that or he installed some software that included it. I don't see anyway that the cable modem could cause this problem. BTW I am also on Cox.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

Hope you did all the Windows updates.

Without exact message, I'll guess malware is the cause.

Oh hell yes, Firewall needs to be on before connecting to the Internet.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Without the exact text of the popup window, it's hard to speculate. We don't even know if it's a browser window or a Windows window from that cryptic description. ;)

Not necessarily - he may have a router running.

Reply to
$Bill

This is why I stopped using Windows over 10 years ago.

Reply to
Fritz Wuehler

In general, yes. On this medium of usenet, sorry, no. You relatively new to usenet?

Since netnews/usenet is not a centrally controlled entity, no central entity can block anything, so enforcement is done on a communal basis, and by individual news server administrator's configurations/policies.

HTML in posting is a usenet "don't" If one craves html laden communication, then the growing popularity web forums may be better suited to you, but for many of us on usenet are here for the express reason that it isn't html crappified.

If someone can't find a place to post a pic or html that they can simply like to in a plaintext posting, they aren't trying very hard. There are tons of webpages practically tripping over themselves trying to give people space to do just that to gather more ad-reading eyeballs.

imageshack.us, photobucket.com to name two popular ones for photo hosting. Most ISP's offer hosting included with their packages that someone wanting to use html to express a problem or concern can easily use to slap a quick page together and link to it.

Best Regards,

Reply to
Todd H.

Been around long enough to read "condescending" between the lines and you talk with a lot of authority that I don't see backed up anywhere.

There is such a thing as a moderated newsgroup, but not sure what this has to do with HTML - they're usually for binaries and content rather than type of text.

How about a cite/site of any authority that states what you just stated ?

Sounds like a lot of work for one pic, but then again you are the authority.

Reply to
$Bill

HAHAHAHahahaha, cough, cough,..

Well that just shows how much you know about Usenet. You may want to take time to cruise through

formatting link
in a hurry to see that you are wrong, click the above link search for Moderated Newsgroups FAQ link, click it

Reply to
Bit Twister

Are you looking for something that backs up what Todd said about HTML and Usenet? It should take you all of about 1 minute to find it. You can start here

formatting link
. Take a good look at Point #2 which states:

Don't post anything but plain text to Usenet, except to groups where other formats are explicitly allowed. No HTML, no vCards, no GIFs or other binaries. (You can put your material onto the Web and include the URL into your posting.) Don't use any program for posting to Usenet before checking the settings so that your message won't be sent in a non-text format by it. Plain text means it's text only, with line length under 80 (preferably under 72) characters; it doesn't mean boring or careless text. Use good writing style.

Keep in mind that there are dozens of other sites that will tell you the same thing if you take time enough to look.

Yes, Bill, HTML is *not* an accepted method of posting to Usenet. The Usenet was around long before the WWW, and it was designed to be sweet and simple. There are those of us who would like to keep it that way.

May the new year bring you good health, good luck and prosperity!

Jim

Reply to
jbanks15

It's not as though you didn't earn some condescension. You're yet another who steps up and tells us all the new rules under which we shall operate. And normally that's a good sign of being new to usenet, so no, he wasn't condescending.

You relatively new to usenet?

Go directly to news.newusers.questions and ask and you shall hear.

It's a little work for the poster and a little work for the ten or so viewers, to save making literally hundreds of thousands of copies of the same thing.

Reply to
clifto

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.