How to set up cable internet connenction on Windows NT 4.0 WS?

Hi All,

My system has the following:

1. an ethernet 10/100 net card & the valid driver
  2. a cable modem connected to - terayon tj715x - the net card
  3. the os is windows nt 4.0 work station
  4. the cable host is myhost.mycable.net

I want to set up a connection for the internet using cables,

What services/components do i have to install on the os? How do i configure them? OR

Reply to
thisis
Loading thread data ...

The same way you would any other system ... Win95, Win98, WinME, WinXP, Solaris, Linux, etc.

Have you checked with your cable provider's support / support web page?

Reply to
riggor

i tried, but it's not exactlty the same way.

yes i did, they don't support this os.

Reply to
thisis

Try one of the microsoft.public.windowsnt newsgroups for NT-specific setups.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Generally, it will be generic. Set the network card's TCP/IP to DHCP (get address from server or similar). The modem or router it is connected to (NEVER connect a computer directly to a modem) will give it a local address. That should be all that is needed unless you have some oddball cable system that requires some form of login software. Most cable systems use the modem's HFMAC address to configure access to the network.

If you don't use a router with some form of firewall, or can find some firewall software that works with NT, your computer will be infected within seconds.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Reply to
thisis

Hasn't MS dropped NT 4 from support, i.e., no security fixes? Since it shares quite a bit of code with Windows 2000/XP this may be a problem.

Mike Squires

Reply to
Michael L. Squires

HI Andrew Rossmann, Yes, my cable system uses it's own dialer software to create the connection. I was trying to make a "manual/hand made" connection to avoid using the automatic cable dialer software installation. It did work out for me on Windows 98. But on NT it didbn't.

What good free firewall software can I install on this os to avoid infections? OR Can an antivirus app do the job?

Reply to
thisis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.