How to set a static IP??

Hi

I'm trying to get a wireless bridge working (a viewsonic WAPBR-100) and its instructions state I need a static IP address. My router is a DLINK DGL-4300.

Following the instruction that came with the wireless bridge and changing the IP address of the network card in my computer where the router is attached to causes me to loose my internet connection. Am I also supposed to change settings in my router.

Searching the net for help I found some instructions (see below) that request I do a "ipconfig/all" command and copy those values in the TCP/IP settings for the network card. The only problem is that examples I find show one set of values in the DOS window and a different set a values in the "static IP config section" with no explanations why the values are different. Then do I have to go into the router and change more settings??

I am totally confused. Is there any good site explaining how to do this. I looked at dozens and all seem very confusing.

Thanks, Martin

The instructions I found on the net:

To find out what you current IP address information is, you can follow these steps:

1.. Click Start followed by Run. 2.. Type command followed by Enter 3.. Type ipconfig /all in the command prompt console and press Enter 4.. The results displayed will tell you the device's current IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway as well as the current DNS Servers among other things To reconfigure the IP address settings of a device in Windows, follow these steps:

1.. Click Start followed by Control Panel 2.. Click Network Connections 3.. Locate the device you want to configure 4.. Right-click it and select Properties 5.. Under the this connection uses the following items: window, scroll to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)] entry and click on the Properties button. 6.. Select the radio button next to use the following IP address and enter the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway of your choosing (use the information extracted above as a reference) 7.. Select the radio button next to use the following DNS server addresses and enter the DNS server IP addresses from the information extracted above.

Reply to
Martin Hirsch
Loading thread data ...

"Martin Hirsch" wrote in news:pPcSe.60$sx2.45@fed1read02:

The static IP that is on the router that will be used for the NIC will be any IP that is not controlled or issued by the DHCP server on the router.

If DHCP IP(s) that can be issued is from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.50, then any other IP on the router is a static IP like 192.168.1.51 or

192.168.2.1 as an example.

The Subnet mask is what you see which is usually 255.255.255.0

The gateway IP on the NIC you want to set a static IP for will be device IP of the router that's the gateway IP the device IP of the router like

192,168.1.1 is the device IP on Linksys routers.

The (Domain Name Server) DNS IP(s) are used to contact the ISP's DNS server on the ISP's network, which is used to convert

formatting link
to an IP address so your software on the computer can contact the site.

Yes, you can use some of that information that you see when you use IPconfig /all. However, there should be an Admin Screen that shows that IP information too being used by the router like DNS IP(s) being used etc.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If the range is from 50 to 100 as in your above example then a static IP address of 192.168.1.51 would be the second one in the DHCP range and therefore not a great choice.

Yep, while an example, if he used that one would plonk his machine on a totally different subnet.

:)

Reply to
David Taylor

David Taylor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cable.ntlworld.com:

Well you're correct with your *bad* self. It should be .150 then .151 would be a static IP. Hey, I am only Human not a perfect Being like you are rightous one. ;-)

So what that it's another subnet? And you're point here is what? It's still a static IP -- and just an example -- big deal.

As usual, it's your much to do about nothing spill.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The OP offered that he had no understanding of IP addresses, giving examples that don't work isn't what I'd call helpful, other views may vary. :)

Just pointing out technical errors for you Duane.

Have a nice day!

Reply to
David Taylor

You know I bet your friends and family hate to see you coming. And I know they run in the other direction every time you show saying here comes that damn big mouth *clown* David and he going to run his *righteous big mouth* about something -- LETS GO!

I know they do it David you ass wipe.

Have a crap day!

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Well after all that info and 5 hours of trial and error and finally a call to Viewsonic got it working. Apparently there is a bug in the software and they told me initially I could not use WPA security when configured as an AP client. Then Viewsonic called back with a workaround instructing me to manually put in the MAC address of my router rather than selecting it after searching for networks.

Would not work with WPA TKIP no matter what I did but did work with WPA AES.

Thanks for all the help, I learned a lot today.

formatting link
Oh, it does both repeater or game adapter. Seems kinda strange that

formatting link

Reply to
Martin Hirsch

Sucks to be wrong yet again eh Duane? :) :)

Yet again though, try to keep it technical and i'll just clear up your errors.

Reply to
David Taylor

You're nothing but a whining little *clown* posting about nothing you lurking little *clown*. You need to put on a wireless Pamper and go play wirelessly in street traffic -- take the wireless baby bottle with you and lurk the traffic.

Technically, all you can do for me is shine by shoes. Then I'll give you your Pamper and bottle.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You really are pathetic. Someone makes a post and gives a static IP of

192.168.2.1 as an example, which I'll assume the OP could figure out as no one is as dumb as you make them out to be with your righteous *clown* butt. And what do you do what do you do? Well, you start s*****ng in your Pamper and having a fit foaming about the mouth. :-)

Like I said before, there is something wrong with you. I see all the posts you make running up and down the NG everyday (not that I read them and I don't ) and for someone to do that on a routine basis, there is something wrong there is something wrong and I have no doubt about you.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You know I bet your friends and family hate to see you coming. And I know they run in the other direction every time you show saying here comes that damn big mouth *clown* David and he going to run his *righteous big mouth* about something -- LETS GO!

I know that up above sucks for you Davey. I know I am on the money about it too, otherwise you would have not responded and you wouldn't have cut the rest out in your other reply.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Nice.

However, the Viewsonic WAPBR-100 appears to be a repeater and not a bridge. Digging...

formatting link
it does both repeater or game adapter. Seems kinda strange that it doesn't have a DHCP client.

You might want to read the comments at:

formatting link

Change the IP from what to what? Numbers, not vague general descriptions. If you're lost in the IP address jungle, a few digits error is the difference between working and not working.

No. The router stays at 192.168.0.1. Leave it alone. It's working.

Viewsonic wants the serial number in order for me to download the user guide so I can't walk you through the instructions. So, I'll *GUESS* which means that the following probably has some errors. If you call Viewsonic support, be sure to tell them that I think they're idiots.

1. You need to get your computer to talk to the Viewsonic bridge. The Viewsonic will arrive with a default IP address pre-configured. For example, I'll guess that it arrives at 192.168.1.2. Note that the
3rd octet is different.

Temporarily configure your computah to a static IP address of: IP = 192.168.1.55 Netmask = 255.255.255.0 Gateway = blank DNS1 = blank DNS2 = blank

1. You should now be able to point your web browser to the Viewsonic WAPBR-100 at: http://192.168.1.2 and get to the configuration. Do the wireless setup and make sure you can "see" the DLink.

1. Change the IP address of the Viewsonic to 192.168.0.2. When you save the configuration, you will lose connection to the Viewsonic. Don't worry about this now.

2. Now, change the IP address of the computer to: IP = 192.168.0.55 Netmask = 255.255.255.0 Gateway = 192.168.0.1 DNS1 = 192.168.0.1 DNS2 = blank This is strictly for testing. You should be able to browse the internet normally. If not, then connect to: http://192.168.0.2 and fix the Viewsonic configuation in accordance to the instructions that I can't download from their moronic web pile.

1. Once you have it working, you can leave the computer at a static IP or put the computer's network address back to where it was before. That means IP address, Netmask, and DNS assigned by ISP, and Gateway blank. This is the default configuration where the IP address will be assigned by DLinks router. The reason for the static IP address in step 4 was because if the wireless was NOT working, you would not get a DHCP assigned IP address to the computah.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.