WTF is this?

I was dumpster diving and found this.

formatting link
The wire on the left is a open-ended 60+ guage cheap wire. The sticker says "STOP! Install Driver before plugging in".

Uh huh.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz
Loading thread data ...

And if anybody thinks about making fun of my 60's flower-print day bedspread I'll... I'll... I'll...

Reply to
Sqwertz

I used to have an "ATI video card + TV tuner" that came with a remote control to control the TV tuner portion of the device. The thing in your picture was the receiver for the remote control.

Reply to
Char Jackson

An RF remote rather than infrared? Fancy. I did see a remoet but I didn't pick it up. This was also found with a brand new Geforce 7800 GTS. No ATI, but there is some sort of "Power rock beat blender" device with RJ-45 in/out on it. Looks to be some sort of annoying toy not meant for the Caucasian crowd.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

I know the problem. Now, my house looks like the inside of a dumpster.

RF remote control receiver.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the first link. I didn't realize this could be used without an ATI Wonder card. So it looks like I'll be able to put it to use after all. I went back and got the remote that goes with it. Looks brand new, still in bubble wrap.

This will finally enable to watch those damned .MKV videos on my normal TV while still having remote functionality. Now if I can just find that SPDIF jumper cable that routes sound through the video card and out through the HDMI... I've probably thrown away 10 of those.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Were you really dumpster diving? The reason I ask is that I gave the exact same type of ATI remote, in bubble wrap, as well as its RF receiver, to Goodwill about 2-3 months ago. It would be very cool if that's how you ended up with it, sort of like putting a message in a bottle, tossing it in the ocean, and hearing that it was found.

Reply to
Char Jackson

This came from a pile of stuff stacked outside of a Salvation Army drop box at the end of the road. It was just starting to rain so I had to rescue some of the electronics.

Unless you put it all into a Costco lawn and leaf refuse bag and set it outside the donation drop box in Austin yesterday with about 40 golf balls, I doubt it's the same one :-)

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

It may not be an actual dumpster, as much as just a pile of electronics or computer components that are going to be scrapped.

At least one of the local electronics recycling dropoffs doesn't mind if you help yourself to stuff that was already dropped off since it saves them the cost of transporting it to the actual recycling facility.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Nope, not the same one then. :-)

Reply to
Char Jackson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.