Cannot find info on this product

I was looking at a purchase here:

formatting link

But I have been unable to find much information on this product and no user feedback. Has anyone used this radio or had experience with this vendor?

I find it very unusal that I was unable to find ANY feedback from users who bought this radio or it's cousins. _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 140,000 groups Unlimited download

formatting link
to open account

Reply to
Arnie
Loading thread data ...

Arnie hath wroth:

Neither could I. It's listed as a: WAVEXSTREAM WXS-250B/G There are also some for sale on eBay.

The FCC ID database never heard of the company or the product. Ask the vendor for the FCC ID number. That should be ummm.... interesting.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Is this a legal requirement for them to sell the item? They claim they make (my guess assemble) the radios themselves. Even so, still find it funny that no one seems to have used them. New product on the shelves last 6 months.

_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 140,000 groups Unlimited download

formatting link
to open account

Reply to
Arnie

Arnie hath wroth:

Yes. Anything that belches RF sold in the USofA must pass various FCC type certification tests. For 2.4GHz wirelss, it's FCC Part 15.

formatting link
formatting link
includes affixing a serial number tag to the unit that includes the FCC ID number.
formatting link

In theory, the entire system needs to be type certified as a unit. That means, power supply, coax cables, antenna, PoE box, and enclosure all need to be tested per Part 15. If anything changes, it has to be re-certified. Strictly speaking, taking the board out of a type certified radio, and stuffing it in a different enclosure, requires re-certification.

How about a $1 million "forfeiture" for selling digital audio equipment without type certification?

formatting link
How about $75,000 for forgetting to include a disclaimer that the equipment was not yet type certified?
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Here are the FCC numbers for the boards they are using:

ZINWELL ZWA-B191-ODM ZINWELL ZWA-G192-ODM

But is that enough to get a good idea of the quality, reliability of the radios they are building? Thanks for your opinion.

------- Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Arnie

I couldn't find these in the FCC ID search page. There is no ZWA vendor code. It's either a counterfeit FCC ID or typo error. Where did you get those ID numbers?

There is a Zinwell listed in the Grantee search. However, their FCC ID prefix is RIW, and not ZWA. Using RIW as a search key, I found some products that resemble the items in the photographs. See:

formatting link
insert "RIW" in the "grantee code" box. There are 7 products (and

1 modification) listed.

You can tell quite a bit about the product from the photos and the test reports. If this is what they're selling, then it's probably legal.

Checking RIW-G192-OD (note the different numbers), it's certainly a high power 802.11g unit certified with 3, 6, and 9dBi omni antennas at approx +24dBm for 802.11b and +20dB for 802.11g.

No. From the tests, the transmitter looks typical. Nothing odd or obviously wrong. However, there are no receiver tests for FCC type certification, so I can't tell how well or badly that will work. Also, nothing on features, ease of configuration, user interface, reliability, environmental issues, and PoE.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks very much Jeff for taking time to look this up. More below-

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

From the guys that are selling them, see the OP url I gave. I found a manual for it at:

formatting link
Also check:
formatting link
Vendor claims these receive sensitivity figures:

WXS-250B is: -87 dBm +/- 2 dB (11 Mbps) @ 8% PER WXS-250B/G its: -69 dBm +/- 2 dB (54 Mbps) @ 10% PER

Among others am trying to compare these radios to Senao 2611 and 3220 radios. What do you think?

Since I can find NO user feedback on them; sans a recommendation for you, I am inclined to lose interest at this point. I used a good search program and could find zilch on user comments. Only thing available was sales promotional material and sketchy.

Reply to
Arnie

Pasadena.net is the same as:

formatting link
might want to give Frank Keeney a call.

I read through all 77 pages of the manual. The English is predictably horrible. There are quite a few useful features. Basically, the device can be configured to do just about anything. It's apparently running some version of Linux. It incluses a command line interface with SSH login, SNMP, QoS, bandwidth management of sorts, repeater, WDS, etc. That's just about anything one could want, if it works. The only thing I could see missing is WPA2. The list of OID's supported by SNMP are better than most and include signal strength (which is usually missing). I would say it's a rather nice product, if it works. Ask them for the Linux source code.

Comparing features with the new ZW-2000?OD 802.11g, the major differences are no PoE, and includes WPA2/802.11i.

That's fairly close to typical. I use -68dBm for 54Mbit/sec and -82 for 11Mbits/sec. The 11Mbits/sec spec seems a bit too good, but there may have been improvements in chipsets and sensitivity since I ran the numbers about

4 years ago.

No comment or experience with these radios. Sorry.

Someone has to be first. If you don't want to be a pioneer, then don't do it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.