Vista Problem

Hey guys, i have a massive problem, and very aggrivating! I have a trendnet TEW-432BRP, and when i go to install the router, it gets to the very end, and when it tries to restart the network with the router, it just hangs and cant complete the installation. The installer that trendnet uses is Network Magic, maybe thats the problem? But i dunno, it just cant restart the network, ive tried everything, the router worked on XP then when i got my new computer it wouldnt work on vista, so any help would be appreciated! BTW trendnet says its vista compatible. So i dunno, thanks in advance!

Reply to
nirvana
Loading thread data ...

Maybe, your simple solution will be to call the product's Tech Support and let them help you. Maybe, they have seen the problem with Vista and their device before, and they can tell you what to do or workaround.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

nirvana hath wroth:

Beware of anything named amazing, magic, miracle, super, ultimate, extreme, ultra, advanced, and other superlatives. They never seem to meet expectations.

Looks like a fairly ordinary router. You don't need to "install" it as in running some kind of software wizard. Whatever you installed, you probably don't need it. Uninstall it.

Wire the router together, and point your web browser to:

Setup the WAN (internet) connection on this page:

and the wireless and wireless security on these pages:

Use WPA or WPA2 encryptioin (or what Trendnet calls authentication).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Mr. Arnold" hath wroth:

Trendnet Vista compatibility page:

The TEW-432BRP is listed as "compatible". So it is written so it must be. Perhaps a bug report would be more appropriate.

I've started a list of bad assumptions for answering questions in alt.internet.wireless. There are things that are so simple, so basic, so obvious, and unfortunately so common, that I never seem to remember to suggest them.

1. Are you using the latest firmware, driver, installer, or client manager? Have you checked the manufacturers web pile for updates?
  2. Did you install the correct firmware, driver, installer, or client manager? Double check the version.
  3. Have you rebooted your computer in the last fortnight? If you don't know what a fortnight is, please reboot anyway.
  4. Have you tried to power cycle (turn on/off) your wireless router? Be sure to leave it unplugged or turned off for at least 15 seconds or more.
  5. Do you have any other wireless devices, utilities, sniffers, probes, utilities, or gizmos plugged into the computer? They may be interfering with whatever you're trying to do.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

see the wierd thing is, is that when i just connect the router, (minus the setup cd) the network indicator on vista doesnt have anything by it, it just acts as if theres no IP address, it doesnt adapt to the router. The installation cd is just a walkthru on how to wire up your router to your computer, so i dont think its the problem. On XP when i installed it, it would cause windows to say that: "there is a network cable unplugged" on vista this doesnt happen, on XP that just meant it was working, becuase after it did that for about 2 minutes, the router worked perfect. I just dont get why vista cant do that. SO thats my problem more specifically. But thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

Reply to
nirvana

bump.....due to these outlandish MI5 threads, wats that all about?

Reply to
nirvana

I remember when I got by first Linksys BFW11S4 v1 router, way back in 2001. I was using Windows ME on the laptop that was wireless at the time. I couldn't get it to work. I really didn't know what I was doing and that was after reading the manuals for the router and the Linksys wireless NIC. I got on the phone with Linksys Tech support, and they brought me home to the wireless promised land.

Who knows what the OP's problems are about, but if it was me, I would be on the phone with Tech Support to see if they could bring me home to the promised land of wireless, instead of wondering around in the wilderness. :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

"Mr. Arnold" hath wroth:

Well, there are times when I call support, but it's rarely to get the answers to a problem. The value of the commodity routers is so low, that it's cheaper for me to simply replace the device with one that works. I wouldn't do that with an expensive Cisco, Sonicwall, or 3com box, but I have no problem swapping out a Linksys, Dlink, or Netgear.

When I do call support, it's to get an RMA under warranty, or perhaps to verify that what I'm seeing is a known bug. It's been a long time since support was actually able to help me troubleshoot a setup or config problem. Unfortunately, to obtain an RMA under warranty, I am required to survive an ordeal process, where I perform strange and illogical tests of unknown purpose. I draw the line where support suggests I reinstall Windoze. Sometimes, I get beta versions of the latest firmware or secret undocuments web pages or incantations.

Calling support might be productive. However, in this case, methinks not. The problem is that he's running some installation software, that's not needed, and probably isn't Vista compatible. I would forget about the software, do a traditional manual router configuration, and live happily ever after.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.