i can't share my C: drive to my wireless laptop

I have read so many threads.....

I want to be able to access my PC folders w/laptop which is wireless.

I shared the C: drive, I turned off simple sharing, I see my PC name on the wireless when mapping drive but I click the + and no folders show up even tho I have C: and one other shared. I map directly using //pcname/C$ and it still doesn't work.

XP pro on PC wired to linksys router. XP home on laptop. They work fine w/router but I am not network saavy.

I have set security on router already so that only my laptop can use it (MAC filtering, WAP, etc.).

help me!!!!! please.

Tim

Reply to
Tim
Loading thread data ...

On 20 Jul 2006 18:42:25 -0700, "Tim" wrote in :

Temporarily turn off all firewalling on both computers. Check on the PC (with NET VIEW) to make sure that its shares are visible.

Special drive shares with a $ are "invisible". Create a new share with a non-invisible name. Be sure to set a strong password.

"How to troubleshoot home networking in Windows XP"

Get rid of MAC filtering -- it's probably not a problem, but it won't really help. Just use a strong WPA (not WAP) passphrase. See wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

You need to set permissions on the shares AND on the directories so that the laptop username can see them. Generally this means making the share and directory readable by the EVERYONE group.

By the way, NEVER share out the root of your C drive, it contains vital system files and if someone hacks in, your PC can be compromised totally. Only ever share out secure subfolders.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:38:01 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

To give everyone [shudder] access, use Simple File Sharing. See "How to configure file sharing in Windows XP"

However, for anyone with XP Pro (not Home), I strongly recommend controlled sharing of folders instead of Simple File Sharing. See "How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP"

True, except that Simple File Sharing *isn't* secure.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for the replies.

I may just share the root but deny any altering privilege. Just want to be able to transfer files to and from my PC w/o burning CD or using removable ram or whatever.

Tim John Navas wrote:

Reply to
Tim

It's really a bad idea to share the root. Just copy/move whatever files you want to share to the Shared Documents folder -- that's what it's for.

On 21 Jul 2006 09:47:33 -0700, "Tim" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

This REALLY is a bad idea. You should create a subdirectory and share that. Theres absolutely no need to share out your root directory. Why woud you want people to be able to copy your autoexec.bat, image your swapfile (and thereby take an image of any applications you might have had in it), copy your boot files etc?

This is not entirely correct - I have set up between XP Pro and XP Home without using Simple File Sharing on the XPHome machine. Its fairly painful but possible.

(another classic from MS this, proper file sharing is apparently too hard for the target users so they dumb it down to the useless and insecure level...)

Quite !

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I guess because to copy files I want to share would copy 40 gig and that would kill my 80 gig HD (40 gig copied to a shared folder...).

Anyway, how can anyone access my root drive if I have MAC filtering, WPA with a strong password and I am not broadcasting SSID and I live in hickville?

Tim Mark Mc> >

Reply to
Tim

On 21 Jul 2006 20:02:24 -0700, "Tim" wrote in :

Then move it there, which costs no disk space.

THE GOOD

• WPA with a strong password (if it really is strong). THE BAD:
  • MAC filtering is pointless.
  • SSID hiding is pointless. THE UGLY
  • You're connected to the Internet
  • Your firmware and software undoubtedly have exploitable weaknesses

Why take unnecessary chances in any event?

Reply to
John Navas

This doesn't make sense. Firstly you would move the file, not copy it and secondly the root of your C drive is still on the same 80Gig drive, so whether you store the file in C:\\ or c:\\shared_files makes no difference in terms of space occupied.

BTW a 40GB file is going to be unsharable anyway by any form of wireless combined with DSL. And what sort of file is 40GB in size, thats large even for DVD.... ?

*sigh*.

Obscurity is NOT security. Could be worse in hicksville, nothing for your teen-aged neighbours kids to do of an evening except torch hayricks and try hacking wireless. Mac filtering and SSID hiding serve no serious purpose. WPA is harder to crack but not impossible and anyone with wired access (eg coming in from the internet) is *inside* your wireless security.

Seems to me that already made up your mind. Thats ok, the purpose of my post was to point out that you're doing something dumb, not to stop you doing it. Here's an idea tho - if someone has read access to your C:\\ drive, then with XP Home they can almost certainly read anything on your entire C drive. For example they could read all your system config (maybe license keys etc), copy cookie files (eg from your internet banking) copy emails (eg to your secret lover) copy documents (eg to your lawyer about your wife) etc etc etc. If you're cool about that, ok. If you prefer to keep that stuff safe, then share out a subdir and give no access to Everyone.

Also could you not top post in technical groups, it makes answers very hard to understand.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

sure. thanks.

tim

Reply to
Tim

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:16:06 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

Really good! May I steal it for the wiki?

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.