wireless external hard drive

Is it possible to have an external hard drive that is reachable only by wireless? Charles

Reply to
charles cashion
Loading thread data ...

Yes, but it won't have screaming performance. What are you trying to do and what equipment do you have to work with? Why does wireless seem like your best option?

Reply to
Char Jackson

yup, network attached storage, plugs into a wap router... i have one of these (also works as a printserver)

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

Interesting

Reply to
LouB

I have an Apple Extreme router with 1TB hard disk shared plugged into it. Available to PC's and Macs for storage/backup - works a treat via wireless

Reply to
Clive Sinclair

I do someting similar - D-Link networked storage attached to Netgear RangeMax Next gigabit edition. Used as a backend file server for shared data and backups. Wireless access from the laptop using

802-11N, also from a couple of old PCs at the other end of the house, gigabit ethernet from the office desktop.

If you do much access via wireless to a hard disk you really want your local network to be as fast as possible. The laptop has a D-Link

802-11N Expresscard which turned out to be much faster than the D-Link and Netgear USB sticks whicg get moved around some older PCs as necessary.
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.