My Laptop & Desktop can't share files on home network

I'm running XP Pro on a Dell desktop and an IBM R60e. I get cable internet to both with a NetGear wireless router. The desktop is connected by ethernet cable, the laptop connects wirelessly. I haven't had any problem connecting to the internet with either computer, but I cannot get them to share files over the network. I've gone through most of the basic steps: both computers are on the NETGEAR workgroup with unique names, no domain of any kind; netbeui is installed and enabled over TCP/IP. I've created identical accounts on both computers, and I've allowed "Everyone" in the local security policies. All that this has resulted in is that my desktop can now see my laptop in Entire Network. I get the "List of servers for this workgroup is not available" when I try to access any files on the laptop or to view workgroup computers. My laptop sometimes sees the desktop in Entire Network, but even if it does, it gets the same error message. This is starting to really annoy me. Am I missing something?

Reply to
Haris.Hadzimuratovic
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Have you configured files to be shared? See palm under the drive when you click on my computer? Right click a drive(like C:) click property there you configure the share and share name by clicking sharing tab on the top.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yeah, I have a shared folder on each. In fact, when I connect the laptop to the router by ethernet, i can see both computers and share files. This is the first time that's happened. It doesn't work when I connect the laptop by wireless. I've tried disabling the ethernet connection on the laptop, but that's giving an error message, too, possibly a related one.

T> > I'm running XP Pro on a Dell desktop and an IBM R60e. I get cable

Reply to
Haris.Hadzimuratovic

Netbeui is not a routeable protocol and doesn't work in some wireless situations when it comes to MS F&PS and sharing resources. You don't need Netbeui anyway to share resources between two NT based O/S(s) such as Win 2K or XP. You can remove the Netbeui protocol. The only one you need is the TCP/IP protocol.

However, I have seen some situations where XP machines still couldn't share resources between wire machines with with TCP/IP only. A guy I worked with couldn't share resources with his Linksys wire router. He tried everything.

In that case, MS's NetBios has never failed to make the connection and share resources between the machines, wire to wire, wireless to wireless or wire to wireless. You should remove Netbeui first, if you go with NetBios.

formatting link
In addition, if both machines are using XP Pro, then take note on using Authenticated User on Shares in the link below, meaning remove all accounts off the share and replace it with the Authenticated User. The person who is trying to access the share from another machine, must have an user account setup on the machine (which should be the same account the user uses when logging on to any machine on the LAN) so that it's authenticated against the user accounts on the machine, before access is given for the user to the share.

You should do this in a wireless situation on file sharing between machines, as someone can hack the wireless, join your network and with the Everyone account on the share, I think you know what will happen.

You can disable Simple File Sharing on XP Pro which exposes the Sharing Menu Option, when using Explorer and you right-click the folder, and of importance the Permission Button for the share is exposed, which is different from folder permission, where you set the Authenticated User Group on the share after removing all user accounts off of the share. You should use AUG on both the folder and the share. You cannot to this easily on XP Home.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

I also ran into this solution that I'll present here as it seems to have fixed the sharing issue with a person using wireless in another NG, with XP Pro.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

You're good people. I'll try it whenever I have some time to mess with it again.

On Nov 12, 9:39 pm, "Mr. Arnold" > internet to both with a NetGear wireless router. The desktop is

this solution that I'll present here as it seems to have

Reply to
Haris.Hadzimuratovic

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.