Can't stop my wireless from wandering to other networks.

Hello all. I have a laptop with XP that I use strictly at home. It uses an encrypted connection to a Linksys wireless router.

The problem is that someone in my neighborhood is using a wireless setup that is wide open - No encryption and broadcasting SSID. For some reason, my laptop insists on using that persons connection instead of mine.

I keep changing the properties back to use my connection. And it will use my connection until I reboot. Then it goes back to using the other connection.

My assumption was that maybe the laptop was having trouble locating my wireless router on bootup, since I did not have the router broadcasting the SSID. I changed the setting hoping it would have helped but it did not.

I haven't been able to figure out why Windows just decides to use any connection it wants. (Even after repeatedly telling it which connection to use.)

If someone would be nice enough to offer some assistance, I would really be grateful.

Thank you, Cartman

Reply to
Cartman
Loading thread data ...

do this a few times and they just might learn

Reply to
Yes Baby

If your XP version has SP2 installed, download and install kb917021

formatting link
use the "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" option.

Reply to
kev

Thank you for the replies, all.

Cartman

Reply to
Cartman

Use their internet connection and disconnect yours to save money.

"Cartman" wrote:

Reply to
®©®

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.