the last three miles

Hello. I'm building a house in rural area with limited options for Internet connectivity. DirectTV-based Internet is not an option with the lag and Verizon's EV-DO Wireless Internet Access user agreement renders it useless. But three miles away from the residence is a cell tower providing the EV-DO service. I contacted the cell tower owner and was told it would cost me at most a couple hundred per month to mount a WiMAX antenna on the tower on the lower tiers. Anyone have experience when dealing with tower operators? I'd have to also arrange for power and the DSL connection. As I said my residence is

3 miles away. Not in direct line of site obviously. The tower's base is at 14 meters above sea-level, where as the residence foundation is approximately 21 meters. The curvature per mile of the earths surface is 8 inches per mile. I'd prefer not erecting a tower at the residence, but the roof line of the house is roughly 40 feet above the ground . So, internet- wise where do I need to go, if I want to attempt wiring all this up myself. Get the appropriate antenna for the tower, a weather proof utility box to house I'd suppose the router hardware and the DSL modem, and the antenna and hardware for the home? Has anyone attempted something similar? Read any articles of the same? What other discussion board or forum might I also ask these questions or surf through in order to come a more informed understanding as how to pursue this effort?

-Wil

Reply to
virtuallight
Loading thread data ...

With a tower base at 14 meters and a house base at 21 meters the earths curvature is not your problem if the two are only 3 miles apart. What is in between? A hill, trees etc?

Alec

Reply to
Alec

On Jun 29, 7:59 am, "Alec" wrote:

Yes, there are trees and only slight bit of roll to the ground between the tower and residence. But no mountains or substantial buildings. I'm in the flat, rural area of the state. With WiMax having a range I believe of 30 or 50 miles, I suspect there would be no problem with the topo.. I was just giving all the information I have. What I need is a recipe to follow, and the source for the gear (antennas, utility box for router and modem). I'm not sure how well EV-DO service relates, but I get about 2 to 3 bars of service on a smart phone probably drawing service from this tower. I think from digging I've done so far the non-point-to-point WiMax antennas look like the ones cellular providers use. Long, candy bar shaped antennas. Would I basically get one of those or similar, a position on the tower on the side favorable to the residence and then blanket the area? I suppose I could then offset my costs by reselling connectivity to the other residence in the coverage area. Subject to the terms of the DSL subscription agreement of course. Anyone else do this? What was your success in offsetting costs? Is there any way to tune so that I get a larger amount of the bandwidth when needed versus houses better positioned to gobble up all the bandwidth, or do I have to worry about that sorta thing? Or should I attempt to do point-to-point? Requiring something like a Pringles can antenna or something else? If I do point-to-point do you basically have to see antenna from the other antenna? If it does, it would sound like this would need a tower at the residence. As you can see I have limited knowledge, thus the questions.

-Wil

Reply to
virtuallight

Direct tv is not the only sat option. And besides for voip the sat delay should not be an issue.

Seems alot of people do not see it like that. What are you planning to do with this connection.

Sounds about right.

Which one. American and crown are both good companies.

Yep

You need to look at the frensel clearance here. Depending on your frequency you may have to go higher. Being that the tower is at 14agl, and you are at 21, and you are limited to the lower rungs, I would try to get as high on the tower as you are allowed, say 20 to 30 feet, 40 feet would be better.

You may want to contact a local radio shop, or an IT shop.

Reply to
Dana

Have you looked at Hughes or WildBlue ?

Reply to
rieker

Isn't any sat solution going to incur a delay up, down, back up, back down. I found DirectTV a year or so back was only useful for Web and email. You couldn't do anything that required a constant stream.

Serve. You can't serve anything, or doing anything beyond web and email on Verizon's EV-DO.

"MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading, or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file- sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file-sharing services and/or redirecting television programming content for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses continuously for one hour could typically use 100 to 200 MB, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GB in a month."

So, its all but a useless service in my mind. I'm a software engineer, who commutes into the city... I need Internet for my job.

Think it was Crown.

Okay, fresnel clearance. Good information. This one word had led me to a wealth of information: line of sight (LOS) coverage, non line of sight (NLOS) coverage, et cetera... LOS needs most of the Fresnel zone, et cetera. I would suppose I would need to focus on a NLOS system.

Hmm, I was thinking of MAKE'ing this (designing, installing the ground equipment) myself, instead of paying for it....

-Wil

Reply to
virtuallight

Don't all sat solutions suffer from the lag up, down, up again, down again. On would think this would occur especially on negotiation, and while your operating something like VoIP would have the same delay as a say a sat phone. Wasn't DirectTV previously Hughes. (The last of the Howard Hughes companies, i think. I think there maybe Hughes Research left, but I don't think much is left of his companies. I may be wrong.) And you can't serve over these products, can you?

-Wil

Reply to
virtuallight

Especially, up. Usually, up is a mere trickle. I mean, if all I do is down this would suffice, but I need up. I know people who have gone so far to hatch plans to pay for DSL at closest nearby connection and the pay the phone company for a twisted pair for the purpose of an alarm to run data over, when sat service failed to deliver on expectations...

-Wil

-Wil.

Reply to
virtuallight

(snippage)

They're using the word "serve" differently to you. In my reading this T&C is designed to prevent you running P2P or similar, where you would saturate the uplink. My isp has a similar term and they've publically clarified that if you are running a mail server or small webserver they won't have any issues.

I would suggest you ask them to clarify if its ok for you to run your server. Obviously if you're planning to run a business off the line you should be talking about a businessgrade connection anyway.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Um, ahem. Sat delay (lag) is a HUGE issue with voip. And all SAT has lag. Minimum is 600+ ms and over 1000 is common. When it works at all, the delay can be maddening for voip. .

Apart from that, I am happy enough with Hughesnet business plan ($100 month) that I can't imagine going to the trouble to rent tower space and try to bring in your own connection via wifi. Sounds very ambitious.

How bad can EVDO be? You must be running a serious internet business? Need VPN or something like that ?

Fine, you have already decided. I do believe that line of sight is going to be a make or break issue at 2.4 Ghz and 3 miles, but somebody else will know better...

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

That is not really true.

Reply to
Dana

Usually one hop.

I have an avg delay of 644 to google, over my sat hop. Using IP accelerators would help for voip. I get voip calls to work, but sometimes the delay is worse than other times. But when you live in Rural Alaska, you have to make do with what is available

Again, there are other sat providers. I myself would not have used direct tv

Do they offer anykind of business plans. Most providers would not like residential service to be used as a server type application. Unless you agreed to pay more

Ok, see if they have business plans, and see if you can write it off as a business expense

When I worked in the lower 48, we had a bunch of sites on crown towers. Very good company, you should not have a problem with them.

Newer systems tend to use OFDM which does not require pure line of sight. So if you find a system with OFDM, you should be ok. And even at the range you are talking, a LOS system would probably work, especially if you can get to place your antenna at say 40 to 50 feet on the tower. You man not get 54Mbps, it may drop to around 11Mbps.

Look up "Wimax", "Wireless Bridge", Microwave point to point.

Look up Tranzeo on Google as well as digitalpath for some decent priced equipment doing what you want to do.

Reply to
Dana

My bust. I meant to say that besides voip applications sat would work ok with the latency involved. As for Voip and satellites we used IP acceelerators to allow VOIP to work over a satellite link. If the LEO guys would ever launch some newer sats, voip over a leo system would not suffer such a delay as seen by geosync orbits.

Skip the wifi, and go with Wimax. Especially for a point to point link

Reply to
Dana

You didn't say where your rural area was located..... try going here

formatting link
select a state, and see if there may already be wifi (b or g) service at your location. There are big red circles showing what may be covered, and lists of providers for that area.

Check with the local high school.. Many of them already have internet for the students, and they have to get it from somewhere, you may be able to glom onto what they use (when I first looked into it for the local high school, they used a microwave link to a repeater on top of a nearby mountain, I was able to glom onto that ((slow during the day when school was in session, but incredibly fast at night/on weekends!)).. About a year later, skynet of spokane expanded their coverage to about a 300 square mile area, and I was in that area.

Got cable TV in that area? They may have plans for cable internet.

Know anyone that is in a location that can get service? Think a high speed bridge to your location from there (friend of mine in a town about 6 miles away, was willing to install and let me do a highly directional bridge to my place from there)...

Best suggestion I can think of, is to think outside the box, and consider all sorts of ideas... Don't expect a simple answer in the yellow pages of your local phone book.

As for reading stuff on links, you may want to look at the messages in this copy of posts

formatting link
"Looking for hardware opinions for rural link"...

Reply to
Peter Pan

They are just trying to protect themselves from someone firing up a P2P program and running it 24x7.

Reply to
George

Might be a T1 connection.

Reply to
DTC

Most are under e-rate programs and are typically limited in what outside connections they can allow.

Reply to
NotMe

Note two things, the OP didn't say where he was at, and second, you use the word "most".... cxactly my point, the local high school in Rathdrum Idaho was getting service from skynet of spokane (microwave link to a repeater on a nearby mountain), I was able to glom onto that....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Once again, my post didn't show up.

In sum, I suggested you look at true business class satellite services like iDirect. Depending on what you are doing, Hughesnet's top "consumer" bizness service may even work with a static IP.

And if EVDO could work...well...why not try it first?

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

On Jun 29, 9:44 pm, "Dana" wrote: As for Voip and satellites we used IP

I would love to get VOIP to work on our SAT link. Could you explain your setup? Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.