Why can't I access some wireless networks which are not secure?

I can access many wireless networks that are not secure but at a truckstop I found a strong unsecure network which allowed me to connect but I could not send or receive data on the internet. They probably have a fee for their service, but how does it work? What do they give you that allows you to use the network?

Reply to
Jim Walker
Loading thread data ...

Did you open a browser? Did it give you a login page?

It could even be as simple as they didn't have a default gateway defined at the router or as simple as "allowed hours" and you weren't in the allowed range.

Normally, with a hotspot, you open your browser, get redirected to a payment/login page, you do this, then you continue.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

First of all, hopping onto someone else's network and trying to use it just because it isn't secure is something you really shouldn't be doing unless you've gotten authorization in advance from the entity that owns the network to do so, or at least know that the network is provided for public use (and can prove this to someone else if you have to). These days, it's becoming more and more likely that such adventuresomeness could land you in hot water legally. And with legitimately available free Wi-Fi becoming pretty much ubiquitous, there's really no reason to do this any more.

Assuming that the network you found at the truck stop was there as an open public hotspot, the thing to determine would have been whether or not it gave you an IP address. If it didn't, it may have been down at that time, or have been having other issues. I'm assuming that since you mentioned that you've used a number of other networks, you know that generally you have to have your TCP/IP set to use DHCP so that your computer obtains an IP address automatically.

If the network was "play for pay," then when you tried to go to your browser's homepage or any other URL you should have been redirected to a login or registration page where you would have been able to make payment arrangements. Some free hotspot operators have gone to requiring a purchase as a condition of access, but again you should have been redirected to a login page, or the network would have been encrypted and you would have been given the key with your required purchase.

I'm inclined to think, however, that you encountered a network that while unencrypted really wasn't open to the public, and you didn't get full connectivity because they were using MAC address filtering. Just another way for whoever was riding shotgun on that network to suggest that you mosey along, pardner, and see if maybe you could rustle up some legal free Wi-Fi in the next town.

Reply to
Jonathan L. Parker

I don't remember opening my web browser. Maybe it would have shown a log on page.

Reply to
Jim Walker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.