2 Wireless Routers and a wireless Bridge help

Ok hope I am detailed as possible and dont confuse anyone =)

I have a verizon modem connected to a linksys wrt54g v5 G router, its in our parents room. Now I had bought a new Linksys N wireless Router for my room which I have devices hooked up (PS3,Wii, Apple TV, and my Netgear Storage, and my laptop), well I wanted to hook up my router in my room to access the internet in my parents room, but no funds for a bridge, and sadly my linksys WRT54G is v5 so no tomato or DD-WRT can be installed to act as a bridge. But I did have a wireless G music bridge, so I hooked it up and it worked!! But the connection keeps dropping...so here is my question.

Do I need to set both routers to act as a DHCP server? and do I need to change the internet connection type from (automatically configurtaion-DHCP) to an actual ip address?

As of right now I need to connect the cable from the music bridge to the (WAN) input behind my N wireless router and renew the ip address then hook it back up to a ethernet port usually 4.

ANy help would be great!!! sorry for the long novel.

Reply to
queequeeg78
Loading thread data ...

Are you sure about that? I seem to remember seeing that they worked out the fix and you can flash a micro or mini DD-WRT version after doing something to the VXworks firmware. Go to DDWRT.com wiki and check. I think they can do V5,6,7,8 now.

But I did have a wireless G music

I have the second router (behind the bridge) just act as an AP/switch and pass it on to the main router. That way everything is on the same subnet and there should be less confusion.

Yes, give router #2 a LAN address in the main subnet if using it as an AP/switch. Connect the bridge to a LAN port on the 2nd router. This is the simpler setup and just uses the bridge and 2nd router as an extension of one subnet. WAN side or router #2 is ignored.

I guess that the other configuration would be to give it or let it be assigned a WAN address (?) and keep it connected through the WAN port to the bridge. In that case it would be used with it's DHCP on for a different subnet. Firewall off?

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

Wrong. I have DD-WRT mini installed on several WRT54G v5 and one v8. I had problems with v23 on v5, but v24 SP1 works perfectly. However, I don't use it for a wireless router. I use these for client wireless bridges, which is what I think you want for your PS3, Wii, etc. It would require that you buy a better wireless router, but good routers are not that expensive. If you want to save money and disappointment, just an ordinary 802.11g router will do fine. You can probably live without MIMO and other enhanced modes, which are really all about speed, not range, or interior wall penetration. No clue if this fits into your plans.

Maker and model of the Linksys N wireless router? Linksys makes several. Incidentally, before you blunder onward with your testing, be sure to check the Linksys web pile for the latest firmware. Firmware updates tend to fix some connection problems and is generally a good idea. Same with your other wireless hardware.

Maker and model of the music bridge?

Distance between WRT54G and this "music bridge". Number of inside walls that you're trying to penetrate? Wall constructions? (Paper, plastic, steel, or concrete?) Type of antennas involved? Any reflectors? Check for interefence (site survey)? Try different channels.

No. There should be exactly one DHCP server in the system. At this time, it's probably your existing WRT54G v5.

You may be confused with DHCP server and client. The WRT54G router is the servers. The other devices, including your wireless music bridge, are all DHCP clients.

No. DHCP (automatic) configuration is fine, as long as it properly obtains an IP adress from the WRT54G DHCP server. You might test this by temporarily relocating the bridge in the same room as the WRT54G.

What cable? Ethernet cable?

Huh? I thought you said that it worked? My guess(tm) is that you don't have enough signal to run the wireless bridge. It might be too much distance or too many walls in between. Hard to tell from here.

Hint: Makers, models, numbers, details.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.