Ultratech battery life?

Thanks for passing on their explanation. It sounds reasonable. I'm more inclined to believe Yuasa made batteries for other companies' labels than the other way around. We'll start including Yuasa on our "complete system" pages again.

BTW, I know you don't particularly favor DIY alarms but I'd like your opinion on something. I'm developing web-based guides to select appropriate fire or burglar alarms and CCTV systems. I'd appreciate constructive criticism. Here are links. These are works in progress:

Burglary:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
I'm editing the DVR script so it will include a selector for image quality plus client responses to the questions regarding number of cameras, etc. Once that's done, instead of just returning the hard drive size, the script will query my database and return a table with 4 or 5 DVRs. The DVR pages will include a selection of cameras matching the client entered responses (indoor or outdoor; dome, box or bullet; etc), monitors, etc.

The "complete system" pages are currently static pages with a general selection of cameras, etc. We're working on templates to generate pages dynamically so the selection matches client specs.

This is turning into a fun project for me. While I was still running the business I never had time to work on these things. Anyway, if you have any thoughts about content or layout I'd like to hear them.

TIA, Robert

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Shhhh! He thinks he's been clever.

Reply to
alarman

Yes and I don't care as long as they work well and last a long time. I also realize that like you and Stevens, "Kid" is disingenuous. He'll say anything to disagree, as will you. As Barney Frank aptly put it, "Trying to have a conversation with you would be like arguing with a dining room table."

Nope. I'm of average intelligence. I appear clever to you due to your perspective.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

KfIYVET2PXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

You committed a grave sin by insulting one of his favorite vendors, shame on you!

Reply to
mleuck

Nice idea. You could probably even expand it a bit to include a "budget" selector. It doesn't have to be all that complicated. Give them a "low", "mid-range" and "deluxe" choice on the individual items (and include a brief description of the features, although this last bit might also include links to an explanation of the terminology used - some DIYer's may not be all that familiar with them). It would probalby improve the time it takes for them to proceed from actually making the choice to getting into the shopping cart (and educate some which would reduce the time they tie up your tech support line). You could also include a script to display additional choices like: "customers who purchased this item, also bought..."

Reply to
Frank Olson

I like that. I was originally thinking of having the system display a range of units with prices from economy to "ultra." You may be right -- let the client can select a budget and display systems at or below the budget. I'll run that by my staff.

That part is easy -- just a bit of typing. I've been slowly building FAQ descriptions of these elements anyway.

I already tried that. Unfortunately, SF doesn't handle "upsell" the way I want it. The new cart system does it similar to Amazon. Upsell operates independently of the Selection Guides, displaying a few related items once the client hits "View Cart" or "Buy Now".

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

ticism. =EF=BF=BDHere

=BF=BDOnce that's

I don't feel one way or the other about DIY'ers. They're not my customers ... now. Maybe someday if they run into problems.

I took a brief look, too much to take the time to read it all but just some quick observations:

I don't know anything about creating websites or whats good or what's not. It's like football. I can't play it. Know very little about it but I know a good game when I see it. Yet I can't tell you why a bad game is bad. However that might be tempered with my opinion of a Baseball game. I think they're all bad. Besides, if it can't be done on a boat, who cares?

With regard to wireless, I don't see anything about the receiver. If not there ... somewhere you have to know the size of the house and/or the type of structure. But I don't know how you do things, maybe this comes up when you actually talk to them.

With Cameras, regarding lenses. Honeywell has a great lens calculator that you might be able to direct them to. You can download it to your computer. It actually shows the size that a human will appear at various lens settings It allows you to make sliding adjustments for camera height, distance, CCD size and lens adjustment. I'm sorry but I don't remember what part of their site that I got it from.

Reply to
Jim

Good point. The guide is intended to give an overall view of the types of systems -- not many specifics. I'm planning to add a series of pages that will discuss wired and wireless components in greater detail.

Yes. Though there are a number of folks who just go online and order, most alarm system sales still involve at least one phone conversation. I'm trying to provide enough information online so we can answer less of the general questions and concentrate on the specifics. As this develops there will be more discussion of things like RF range, etc.

I've found a few lens calculators at various manufacturers' websites. I can post links to them but online files have a habit of being moved, renamed or deleted so I'd rather make my own using scripting. The hard-drive calculator

*was* working this morning. Then we started editing it and [sigh]. I'll get it fixed shortly. The guide page, when finished, will hopefully be able to take a person all the way through the ordering process. After answering a series of questions about the number and types of scenes to be recorded, type of premises, etc., the site will generate a dynamic listing of systems matching the scope and features requested. That's going to be more of a technical challenge than the alarm guides.

various lens settings...

I checked it out. It's good because a novice can understand a graphic of a human target better than statistics. I'll place a link to it on my site until I have time to develop my own.

I found it. There's a link on the lens page.

formatting link
Thanks.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.