Simons motion sensor battery life?

Looking to put together a very simple and inexpensive security solution. Thinking about a Simon 3 wireless with a single motion sensor and smoke detector with NextAlarm monitoring.

Two questions.

1.How often will I have to change batteries on the on the motion sensor and smoke detector?

1. Is Nextalarm monitoring reliable? Will my insurance company (citizens in Florida) okay there certificate? Do they nickel and dime you later on in any way?

Reply to
jobs
Loading thread data ...

1 motion and 1 smoke, yea thats protection
Reply to
Mark Leuck

And really user friendly too...hmmm one PIR so that would have to be on delay...and most likely unusable if you're staying home. Why worry about the CS being reliable when you have barely any detection to begin with? Might as well buy a noise parrot.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'd like to know what kind of research resulted in a system like this because I was once told it isn't rocket science yet so many DIY'ers can't figure it out,

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Actually..

We've lived in the same house for about 14 years now. After buying the house I put in $40 joke security alarm .. no monitoring no nothing but a pretty loud siren. After a remodeling project that included reversing our front door to swing in .. somebody kicked in the front door one weekday and apparently triggered the alarm. Apparently, it scared the hell out of them as the only stuck around long enough to steel an old digital camera from that i happen to leave on the kitchen counter.. The most expensive loss was the door which now swings out again like everybody else in the block.

Compare that to my parents $800 system with fancy monitoring. About three months ago they were in Vegas and I get a call that their alarm tripped. I was at dinner about 2 hours away so I okayed them to dispatch the police. So I drive to the house over 2 hours later and no sign of anything wrong, over an hour later, a policeman in plain clothing shows up in an unmarked vehicle with nothing but apparently a flash light. The guy must have been 70years old and looked half asleep.

The way I see it, I'd have to spend way too much to do it totally right as if they REALLY wanna get in and steel your stuff they will. Phone lines are a joke and police dispatch is a joke too. My real security system .. hide or back up anything of real value (mostly sentimental), and a really really loud siren.

Honestly, I'm upgrading for the $200 insurance credit ...

But thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
jobs

oh you're worried about the "stuff".

when i design, sell, install and maintain a proper alarm system, the "stuff" is not my primary concern, the mom & dad and the kiddies are - maybe fido too.

your ins. co. shouldn't give you a discount for a minimal "system" like you are intending to install - in fact when we fill out those forms for the ins. discount it has to come from an alarm co. AND they ask about what kind of coverage is installed, the panel type & manu. and abt. the CS as well.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

He'll buy the Simon "online" from some Nimrod in Sarasota who will gladly fill out the requisite forms. ISTR he boasted once that he "offers" this "service" as well. He's never seen the installation and could care less whether or not it's properly installed, serviced, or monitored. Bottom line, Crash... There's any number of so called "alarm companies" out there that are willing to do this.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Smoke alarm batteries should be changed once a year unless they're supervised by the system (which will give you a low battery warning). Typically a Lithium battery will last you about two years in a PIR (depends on how much dancing you do in front of it), and about four years in a smoke.

"Nextalarm" wouldn't be my "first choice". What you want is a company that will also service the equipment locally. If all you're after is the "insurance discount" though, then things like SIA trained operators, local guard response, and a layered security system that incorporates door and window contacts, and glass break detectors to protect your loved ones, etc. wouldn't interest you anyway. You just might have to cough up a whole dollar a day for that kind of service and response.

Reply to
Frank Olson

From what some of my customers (I sell alarms to DIYers) have said, Nextalarm does a good job. Their prices are much lower than what most alarm dealers charge. I've sent them and 911Alarm some customers and so far feedback has been positive. I have no relationship with either company.

The best person to answer questions about your insurance policy is your agent. Alarm installers rarely know (though many will offer advice that you hire them instead) what insurers' policies are.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

lying is a "service"? get a rope!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Can I get a panic button in every hallway? I'll pay anything for that false sense of security.

If somebody has the balls to break into your house to kidnap or rape while you are there... swallow the red pill so that your secrets will safe and the Free world will remain protected. lol . :) That or you should have paid Crazy Buba those $5 bucks you owed him for that Ho he lent you. Sorry.. could not help myself.

Reply to
jobs

Hey Jobs

Here's one of those on line store guys that'll sell you and tell you anything you want to hear, so that you'll buy from him.

Here's a brief profile of this guy. He's a felon for pulling a gun on someone. He's responsible for killing someone. He abandoned his wife and kids. He's stalked and interfered (in real life) with the personal lives of people that have opposed his "style" in various places in Usenet. His rating is just about as bad as it gets with the Florida Better Business Bureau.

You'll note that he will not refuet any of the above because he knows that there is proof of all of the above, in the archives of Usenet.

Reply to
Jim

You know Crazy Bubba my lead installer???

Reply to
Crash Gordon

are they not regulated properly in some states?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nope. Unfortunately. If you can provide some more information about some states that may not be represented on this list as yet, please do. It hasn't been updated in a while.

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Drat!!! One to many "w's" again.

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

thank you for the link. i had no idea there were states that didnt regulate this business.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.