Sliding Door Wall Magnets

I've read many of the FAQ's here and reviewed many of the switches available, but believe most of the ones listed as steel door contacts are for larger, commercial steel type doors or perhaps steel front doors on homes, etc.

My home was prewired and contacts were installed on the sliding door wall doors going out to the back porch, however, when no magnetic contacts were installed in the doors.

Being that the inside of the doors is not solid and mainly hollow before you get to the glass is it still not appropriate to use the magnet that comes with standard recessed door contacts?

The reason I ask is because I have looked at some of the steel contact magnets out there and they appear to be quite long and I am not sure they would fit inside the door wall frame, but the standard recessed magnets will.

So, if I cannot use standard recessed magnets in the door can anyone recommend one that might work in thinner door wall type sliding doors typically found in residences going out to a back porch?

Thanks.

Reply to
Surebet
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like you do have the switches installed in the door frame. Standard contact magnets will do fine. They are 3/8" round and can be obtained in 1/2 to 1" lengths. You don't need a big magnet. I am assuming that the steel on your door is just a covering on the front and the back but the actual door itself is just a standard hollow door. If you have limited depth available, the supply houses have very small super magnets that can be mounted with a small screw and some glue. These work well too.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Most sliding glass door frames are made of aluminum or wood, which would not require a steel door magnet. Is yours not made of aluminum?

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Why not use a push switch in the door frame thus eliminating the need for a magnet.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

Actually you are all right, I didn't go far enough to verify that the sliding doors are aluminum, which they are. The magnet has no effect on them. I have enough of the recessed magnets to work.

Although one person recommended push switches I would just assume go the easier way and use the already known working switches in place and simply add the magnets as I did in other rooms on windows and doors.

I appreciate all of the great feedback and have enjoyed installing this system. I feel better about doing so myself as I know how it ticks, as oppsed to my neighbors who do not.

Thanks everyone and I will continue to monitor this group for interesting information.

Reply to
Surebet

Yep. Besides push switches are more likely to stick.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Take a look at these

formatting link
can purchase them HERE:
formatting link
towards the bottom of the page

Reply to
Group-Moderator

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.