How many of you using 802.1x wired and wireless?

Hello, my name is Greg Pierce. I work for Hitachi Data Systems, a
division of Hitachi Limited. We are in the middle of a large wired and
wireless implementation, and are wondering how many other companies out
there have or are currently implementing this technology. We're
interested in understanding what issues have been seen at other
companies, and how they've been overcome. Also trying to get a general
sense of how widespread the use of this technology really is. Also, if
anyone knows of any forums out there for this kind of thing, I'd
appreciate a link.
If you are interested in a discussion, please email me at
snipped-for-privacy@hds.com.
Thanks,
Greg
Reply to
Greg
Loading thread data ...
I dont quite understand: Wired and wireless? Using what equipment?
"Which technology" you ask; but for what? the wired?
Greg wrote:
Reply to
Nick
I'm asking how many companies are using some (any) form of 802.1x authentication on either wired, wireless, or both and if so how when and why:)
In other words, generally what are you all doing, and to what scale?
My implementation is on both wired (Cisco switches, XP clients, guest VLANs, MS Radius, MS PKI) and wireless (Cisco 1100s, MS Radius, MS PKI) on a global scale with ~150 office locations. The idea being no port anywhere that isn't authenticated with 802.1x, or MAC address unless in a secure facility such as our data center.
How many others are doing something of a similar scale? If not, what are you doing? Why?
Thanks!
Greg
Reply to
Greg
Greg, I work for a large southeastern US school district with over 100 sites and 60K students & staff. We are in the process of putting in 802.1x for both wired & wireless to keep down on students & staff from getting unauthorized access on the network. We are a mainly Cisco shop (Cat 4500, 3500XL, 2950 switches & 350/1200 aps). In our industry there is a big push to supply the students laptops and allow our mobile teachers & other personnel access. Those that authenticate get put on thier correct VLAN, those that don't or machines don't pass NAC get put to a guest/remediation VLAN that is severly limited. We're working out the kinks, but like it so far. Hope this helps with what you're looking for.
Noel
Reply to
meltonn
We have a 802.11i based wireless access security implementation of about 100 APs. Most issues are client/equipment/Radius configuration and compatibility related. Go with vendors that fully support and comply with the 802.11i standard.
Reply to
news.sbcglobal.net
Thanks everyone, exactly what I was looking for. Noel, any chance you'll tell me which school district? Know of any other doing similar things?
I think we're wondering how prevalent the use of this technology is.
Thanks again,
Greg
Reply to
Greg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.