VOIP

I have been thinking about checking out some VOIP options for my incoming calls. Since Vonage has gotten such a slam... and some here have said other VOIP companies are better... Who are those better companies?

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Call me and I'll share my experience with two providers. There are significant differences from one firm to the next.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

If you are in Canada, check out

formatting link

If you are in the US, check out

formatting link

Both have unlimited US/Canada for one low monthly price. There is a couple of other companies out in the US providing free US/Canada call with no monthly but you won't want to use them for your business anyway.

formatting link
for running a virtual PBX system, free.
formatting link
for free DID number.
formatting link
for free US/Canada unlimited call.

The main advantage of going with VOIP is you can subscribe to multiple DIDs in different area codes so you are always a local away call for your customers. While you are at it, check out a VOIP PBX hardware manufactured by Linksys, the almighty SPA-9000.

Reply to
A.J.

Why? What will you save? I don't get it, I guess. Don't you still have to pay for your ISP broadband connection? and then pay Vonage (or whatever) another 25 bucks a month? I guess if you make a lot of LD calls it might pay off?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I have quality broadband connections anyway.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well, you pay for that right? Then you're gonna pay for Voip on top of that...where do you save money?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Savings in calling costs (over what I am paying now) is not necessarily what I am looking for.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

ok, so like, what's the Voip attraction?

| | | Savings in calling costs (over what I am paying now) is not necessarily what | I am looking for. | | | -- | Bob La Londe | Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River | Fishing Forums & Contests |

formatting link
| | | | -- | Posted via a free Usenet account from
formatting link
| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Would that be like free tickets to Spice Girls? :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No you idiot, it means he has reliable Internet connections.

Pay attention.

Reply to
G. Morgan

VoIP offers enhanced features that are either unavailable or significantly more costly with POTS lines. For example, VoIP calls can be received anywhere in the world the same as if the called party was in his home or office. Virtual PABX services on VoIP are cheaper and (usually) more flexible than what you can do on POTS lines.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

uh ok. For the average homeowner who doesn't travel the globe and need to stay in constant touch with Aunt Edna...sell me VoIP. I still don't get it.

| Bass Home Electronics | 4883 Fallcrest Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34233 | 941-866-1100 Sales & Tech Support |

formatting link
| =============================>

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

For the average homeowner I doubt there's enough value in VoIP to make it worth the trouble of switching from POTS service... yet. In time VoIP or some variant of it will probably replace POTS though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Assuming it worked as advertised, where VOIP starts making economic sense is if you already have cable modem service.

If you are already paying for the cable, and will have the high speed connection no matter what kind of phone service you have, then you have two options:

1. Pay the phone company for a land line, and pay them an additional monthly fee for each extra service you want: voice mail, call forwarding, etc. Plus, you get to pay for the toll calls you make. It all adds up, even if you buy a package of services.
  2. Pay a flat monthly fee for VOIP service, get all those special services for free, and make toll calls at no extra charge.

Personally, I prefer to have a real telephone line, instead of depending on the cable company for everything. But it costs me more to have two separate providers.

You can see the economics are not as good if you are using DSL and are paying for a phone line anyway.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.