[A-Link IPU1 USB Phone] Working with X-Lite or X-Ten?

Hello

I just bought this USB VoIP phone

formatting link
but I'm stuck at how to actually use it (Windows2003 Server). Support is nothing more than can be found at
formatting link
:

1. Plugged the phone into a USB port: Windows detects and installs a "USB audio peripheral"
  2. Launched X-Lite 3.0 (Build 30942) that I already had installed. X-Lite registers with an Axon PBX sofware (free PBX for Windows).
  3. Launched the X-TenMate (1.0.0.18) applet provided by ALink that seems to be a middle-man between the USB phone and a VoIP application. The phone changes from "VOIP-PHONE" to day + time + year.

But... the X-TenMate icon in the task bar changes from green to gray and says ": "Can't find Software Phone", and I can't dial an extension or receive a call. Does anyone know how to get this thingie to work?

Thank you!

Reply to
Vincent Delporte
Loading thread data ...

Made some progress: Those *Mate utities are required for USB phones. The one provided by A-Link is out of date. An updated can be found at

formatting link
which...

- will sort of work with X-Lite 3: I can receive a call, but not call an extension, as it sends crappy numbers to the application :

formatting link
Tried on another, more recent computer, same issue.

- won't work with EyeBeam 1.5.5.1: "Can't find software". Looks like it won't work with EB 1.5 and above.

Anybody has a more recent version of X-TenMate or a work-around for the crap characters issue?

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Looking at I see that the device, apparently, works with linux!? You're running forte, and, hence, windows? Have you tried it with linux?

-Thufir

Reply to
Thufir

I don't use Linux on the client host, and I would be very surprized if a cheap USB phone like that would have a driver for Linux. It's basically a remote phone card that requires an applet to work with an SIP application. Nothing like a real SIP phone.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

It's rather odd. A-link wrote to me:

'Reply-To: From: "Tero Nordman" To: Subject: VL: Thank you for your order #99501761! Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:36:10 +0200 Organization: A-Link Europe Ltd Message-Id:

Dear Sir,

IPU1 and IPU2 can operate in Linux with any SIP software. You can make calls with any SIP software in Linux, but IPU1 or IPU2 keybad do not = work. Only Skype for Linux have Skypemate software to enable keybad for linux/Skype use.

Best Regards:

Tero Nordman A-Link Europe Ltd Email: snipped-for-privacy@a-link.com Web:

formatting link
' Now, I think I'm also seeing the same "phone" at:

But it's hard to know who the OEM is.

-Thufir

Reply to
Thufir

But that, they probably meant that, in the absolute, since that phone is a USB phonecard, you can develop a driver that will be the interface between the phone and any SIP application running on the computer.

If you go to their site, you won't find anything for platforms other than Windows. And even then, they only provide the applet for three SIP clients (X-Lite which is buggy as of now, SJPhone, Skype).

Care to develop that application for Linux? ;-)

As far as I can tell, Yealink = A-Link.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

[...]
[...]

No, I don't have the skills. But I'm curious as to why all this wasn't developed in Java. Or, wouldn't that have made a difference because it relates to hardware?

-Thufir

Reply to
Thufir

Java is crap :-) Fat, slow, and besides, 95% of users have Windows, so it doesn't make economic sense.

Besides, USB phones are marketed as a cheaper alternative to real IP phones like those from GrandStream or Cisco, so you can't really expect the same quality.

The A-Link is OK, but I'll buy hardphones instead.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Vincent Delporte wrote: [...]

Yeah, but it's cross platform. Anyhoo...

Absolutely. I was going to get the grandstream, but I'm behind a firewall and router and am not the system admin. So, skype looks good as it's a known factor.

In fact, I just got off the phone (or is it the "skype device"?) with ?Peter?, who's in Taiwan. First time I've spoken with anyone in Taiwan :)

For the record, his contact info is at: .

He's going to send me a pay-pal invoice, I'll see what sort of price he gives. The bonus to this phone is that I can at least play around with SIP, although I'll probably need IAX. The people who hack the nslu-2 "slug", and put asterisk on it, mention this phone. Although I don't see how it can do anything useful with asterisk, I'll get a chance to find out :)

-Thufir

Reply to
Thufir

How many people actually read these forums ?

Reply to
Halle93659

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.