How do I program zones on Ademco Vista 10SE?

I have an Ademco Vista 10SE system.

I want to change Zone 6 to a "perimeter" zone type.

Here's exactly what I've done so far-

Hit:

*20 (enter installer code) + 8 + 0

*56 (zone programming)

At this point I get lost as the system doesn't respond the way the manual says it's supposed to. I suppose I have the key sequence wrong or something similar.

Could someone please tell me the exact key sequence I'm to enter (from start to finish) to change Zone 6 to a Perimeter zone type?

Also, what are the exact steps to review an existing zone?

My keypad is either a 6127 or a 6128 (fixed word keypads)....not an alpha keypad

Thanks.

Reply to
Samuel Rutherford
Loading thread data ...

Give me a call. I will walk you through it.

Jim Rojas (813) 884-6335

Samuel Rutherford wrote:

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
Jim Rojas

You need a programming keypad an old 6139 or a newer 6160 to see what you are doing.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Jim helped me out. Here's what to do;

How to program Zones in a Vista 10SE

1. Enter Installer Code + 800
1a. Should see 20 on keypad
  1. Hit *56 (zone programming range)
  2. Hit *
  3. Should see 01 (meaning zone 1)
  4. Hit ***
  5. Should see 10
  6. Hit ***
  7. Should see 02 (meaning zone 2)

At this point exit Zone programming by doing the following; (don't ask "why"....I'll explain later)

Hit 00* Hit *99

You are now back at the "Ready" light and your system is ready to arm or be left alone.

(You can continue the procedure above for all zones repeating steps 5 through 8 which will take you through each zone. Sometimes, however, you will see various Zone Type codes such as 03 (perimeter) after you see a zone number.) To get out of the programming you must reach a Zone number and then hit 00* and then *99

Now, here's the catch; after doing all of the above and reviewing the Zones....I honestly don't know how to change each Zone's Zone Type. I did it back dumb effort on one of my zones and was successful.

Reply to
Samuel Rutherford

It helps if you have the proper keypad for programming and to RTFM. Programming an Ademco DOES take some rocket science.

Reply to
Frank Olson

YES...I know how to do it the trick way...been in the business for years. But trust me it's safer/easier to do it with the proper keypad so you can see what you are doing.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I don't recall whether the gentleman said he has the manual. If not, it's available for download from Honeywell's website. If the OP needs the manual he can call me and I'll email him a copy.

I disagree. The method is a bit cumbersome but it can't be all that hard. Even I can do it with a manual in hand. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yes, I have the manuals for my system. They do not mention programming using the single line keypad but only mention programming using the alpha key pad.

Reply to
Samuel Rutherford

if you're going to just change 1 thing u can do it. but if u have a lot to program by all means use the alpha.

Reply to
Bob

Great.....now how do you do it?

Reply to
Samuel Rutherford

toldja...you need a 6139 or 6160 keypad.

single line programming (I call it "by the beep") is kinda a hack, it's not really how you are supposed to program the zones.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Just Looking

Alright, alright.

The bottom line is you guys don't know how to do it.

It can be done- I saw the installer setup our entire system with the single line keypad.

Anyone have a 6139 keypad for sale that works?

Reply to
Samuel Rutherford

Yes, it can be done. You have to be completely familiar with Ademco programming for it to work. If you've installed dozens of them, you'd be able to work with the keypad responses to understand where you are in programming. I've done it "in a pinch", but not being able to verify what you've entered is a bit "un-nerving" (thank goodness for downloading software). As for "talking someone through it" (particularly someone that's not even in the trade), I wouldn't even attempt it (and I doubt many of the other professionals that post here would either).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Then you better have your system checked over, because that method of programming is so prone to errors it aint funny.

I've been programming these things for 20+ years and in the few instances I had to program by the the beep, I've ALWAYS checked my programming of that panel with Compass immediately upon return to the office.

You can probably find a 6139 or 6160 on eBay.

If this is your only system you're doing, why not just buy the 6160 and hang it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I did it once and went out and bought a apha. I don't do ademco. but I still went out and bought one. thats how bad I didnt want to have to ever do that again!

Reply to
Bob

sounds like rocket science, musta been RLB!

Reply to
Bob

It's not that bad. I use Ademco equipment because it is stable, and pretty much trouble free. Especially their wireless equipment for the most part.

I have to keep several different alphas due to compatibility issues. Some First Alert panels won't work with the 6160 or 6139. Then again some older Ademco panels won't work with the 6139 either...it never ends.

Jim Rojas

Bob wrote:

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
Jim Rojas

What is the matter with you? You have been told how, are you really that dense.

Ever heard of Ebay?

formatting link
Duh.

Reply to
alarman

And you can bet it wasn't his first time programming.

Like most of the others here, I've done it - in a pinch - but like them, I had it verified at the earliest opportunity.

Main programming is pretty easy with the "fixed word" keypad but when you get into menus and sub-menus it is crazy easy to get lost without the feedback.

Luckily, when setting up a system the only menu driven programming you generally have to do is zone programming. One of our techs used to work for a company that that had pre-programmed zones. All you had to do tie down the device wires to the proper zones and all you had to program were the basics.

Could be that's how your other company did it.

formatting link

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.