Line Identification

Do you have Symposium? If so, you could write a script that would look at the calling line ID from the calling telephone and then "pronounce" those digits back to the caller. I wish I had a Symposium so I could try it!

On our system we have a couple gizmos that perform this function. The product is called the "Test Phone" and it was made by DTI (Digital Technologies, Inc. I think). I don't think they are available new anymore but their may be some around. The think is about the size of an older Hayes modem, takes no external power (just the digital Line from the Meridian-1) and a little bit of programming.

Al

Reply to
Al Gillis
Loading thread data ...

What kind of equipment do I need to set up a station/extension identifier. I want to be able to dial some extension or code and have the number I am at be read out to me. I know this is possible in the telco switch environment but I was wondering if it was possible to do it on a PBX, Possibly using one of the digital sets as a way to identify the number.

Thanks

Reply to
crossbar

HI crossbar (is this the same one as crossbar50 at nortel.pbxinfo.com )

Why dont you program one digital set with cls icda internal call detail allowed and aaa automatic answer allowed. You program a tty-port as cdr-port (user cty) and hook a pc with a terminal program to it and capture the info. Every time you call the digital set you get an internal callrecord with the number of the calling set. When you also connect this pc to the lan and add a programm like VNC to it, you can see the cdr's immedeatly.

Pennyman.

"crossbar" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Pennyman

Thanks everyone. (No I am not the crossbar50 at nortel.pbxinfo.com.) Should I be? I used to be a CO switchman in an old North Electric NX1-D crossbar. Hence the name "Crossbar".

The reason for this post is we have the possibility of taking over maintenance on a large hotel PBX. There are no records of where things are. One group put this cable in and another put in that. These cables both go to the same area but follow different routes from the MDF. This is scattered all over the complex. The maintenance staff on site doesn't know either. Tis the reason for a reply while you are on the line.

Reply to
crossbar

Hi Crossbar!

(That's a great name but its probably lost on most of the"kids". Regardless, I like it!)

A couple of things... We have a gizmo on our Nortel 81c called a "Test Phone" made by Digital Techniques a few years ago. While it's "MD" now there may be some around. We dial it up and it "says" the number from which we're calling. It's an invaluable tool on larger moves and changes and even on repairs. It beats the old days when we called the Attendant and said "Hi, Suzy - what number am I calling from?" That technique worked OK when Suzy was in a mood to talk but when she was busy (most of the time) she quickly lost her sense of humor, if you know what I mean!

From another post you related your frustrations with undocumented cable plant. Well, you're not alone! When we acquire real estate we just plan on gutting the existing cable plant and building out our own thing. I think it costs more to inventory and generate new records that it does to replace the cable! (That may not work in your case!). Also, for whatever it's worth, the City of Portland (Oregon) requires tenants to remove horizontal cable when they leave an office or store. Does that work? Not always, of course. But at least it attempts to give the new guy a starting point. I know that doesn't apply in your case, where you're just picking up maintenance on an existing system, but it's what we're supposed to do here.

Good luck !!

Al

Reply to
Al Gillis

Sounds like you have a very old PABX, normally you would expect the internal number to be displayed at least when you call the reception phone from individual phones.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Ya, we got a Test Phone too...those are convenient when you don't want to interupt someone 30 times a day.

Odd issue with the 6 or 7 phones we have CLS DDGD. If you call the Test Phone, it will read back the last phone that "was not CLS DDGD" - that was a pain for a day or two :-)

Is this the Cisco rep using "Private Automatic Branch Exchange" to tell someone else _they_ have something outdated?

Reply to
GHTROUT

(Much snippage...

We've discovered (the hard way) that that does happen! Another thing we haven't figured out is why we can't get correct reponses wien the "Test Phone" get a vaild number from a PRI as opossed to one from an internal DN. I would have thought that would work.

Reply to
Al Gillis

Other than the digital techniques unit, other options could be a companion, or spectralink, or cordless phone with a class modem line card for calling line display to an analog set. you could also leave a message in voice mail and retrieve message and and listen to header to see what extension left message (very time consuming, but it works)

crossbar wrote:

Reply to
glewis

We put one on a MITEL using a Dialogic card, a text-to-voice box from (I think) Black Box and a tiny little program written in Quick Basic. The whole shootin' match runs in MS-DOS from a ram drive and fits on a 3-½" floppy with room to spare. It will read back anything that calls it, whether an internal extension or a DID call.

I believe >Other than the digital techniques unit, other options could be a

Reply to
nobody

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.