What this kind of device called?

You want an Ethernet client. IIRC. the Linksys WRT54G router will do what you want, but maybe only if your AP is Linksys AP.

The Linksys WAP54G V2 claims to work as a client to (lessee) only another WAP54G, though maybe the later hardware revisions will work with other hardware.

[Are you really sure you want to do this? IMNSHO, wired Ethernet is far faster and more reliable (to say nothing of more secure) than wireless, and it's probably cheaper to run wires than build out a whole wireless infrastructure...]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

IIRC= "If I Remember Correctly", *not* internet relay chat.

-- Louie Gainesville, FL (eat the flies to email)

"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Reply to
Louie

We're thinking of going wireless in a new building but don't want to have to install wireless cards in all existing PCs. Is there a device that works like a little hub/switch but instead of it's uplink being a physical wire, uses a wireless connection to an access point? The idea would be to simply plug the existing PCs in clusters (four per desk) into this "wireless hub". And I realise "wireless hub/switch" isn't probably the right name.

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Reply to
gene martinez

"Rob Nicholson" wrote: [I wrote]

Well, you can certainly live on the bleeding edge if you want to...

How many machines are you talking about, and how many wireless phones? I think you'll be disappointed with the speed, reliability, and security, but maybe that's my experience with consumer/SOHO level products speaking, and you'll be using some enterprise-class wireless infrastucture stuff that'll solve all your problems. I possibly mistook your initial post to mean you didn't want the _expense_ of installing wirless cards in your existing PCs...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Yes. It's called a "workgroup bridge". 3Scum and Cisco both make them under that name. They limit the number of simultaneous client connections to 4, 8, or 16 depending on the number of ethernet ports or whatever. Essentially, it's a "multiple MAC address ethernet client bridging wireless adapter". Whew!

16 devices |
formatting link
4 devices |
formatting link
8 devices: |
formatting link
There are others...

Other than the workgroup bridge boxes, you can also use a WRT54G or GS with alternative firmware, to act as a client adapter. I think the limit to the number of clients is about 253 with one of these. DD-WRT firmware recommended. Look for "client mode". |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Are you completely off your tree? ;-)

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

It's not necessarily to do with cost but flexibility. We're also looking at wireless telephony as well. We fully realise that this is the edge of technology right now but we're a forward looking company.

Speed isn't primary importance to us - we use Citrix so bandwidth requirements are a) low and b) predictable.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Agreed, I did that for an office that we didn't expect to be in for very long. Got an 8 way DECT base station and then connected that to 8 land lines which used the BT virtual exchange features. Could have done it with Voip but not enough upstream bandwidth in my case as it was on the end of a 2M/256 DSL.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Why in internet relay chat?

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

We're not quite brave enough yet to go VOIP for our incoming/outgoing calls so that'll be still ISDN-30 into the building and then straight into a VOIP software PBX. We're considering Swyx at the moment for the PBX primarily because it's specifically Citrix friendly.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

We're considering a small DECT set-up as well but most of the phones will be plain desktop VOIP phones. That's one of the reasons for trying to find out if the device I'm looking for exists. Wireless Ethernet VOIP business handsets are pretty rare and therefore have a high cost base with unknown reliability. Wired VOIP Ethernet handsets are reasonably common and tested.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

I know how you feel, took me ages to find a desktop DECT phone instead of a simple cordless phone type.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Which one did you find in the end?

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Thanks Jeff, just the ticket.

Regards, Rob

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

It was one by Topcom which was only about 30 quid. BT now offer one too which is about 3 times that price if I recall correctly.

Reply to
David Taylor

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Get a WAP54g or WRT54g and then get a couple of WET54g's The wet54g is a wirless bridge with a 4 port switch. I have two of these in the kids room in diffetent parts of the house and they work great. One has a laptop and ethernet printer attached and the other has two desktops and an HP 7410. Any one can print to any of the printers. The kids also videoconference between different parts of the house. But it does get a little slow with four cameras going at the same time.

Reply to
mame

____________________________________________________________________________ ___________________

If you prefer Netgear a WGR614v5 does the same thing I'm using one here with a concrete and wood structure and get over 400' from my router. It has

4 wired ports also and I have a wireless printer port so anyone on my network can use one printer at anytime it's stand alone with a PS121 netgear print server. I use WG111's for my wireless hook ups since they are USB's it make laptops etc. very easy to hooh-up. You can also setup the WGR614v5 router to another wired router if you need more ports say you have a wired 5 port now and you get the WGR614v5 and at that location you need lets say 7 ports wired. You would use your internet connection DSL cable modem, dial up modem , etc. into the WGR614v5 it hooks up in a different wired hookup to your existing router giving you a wired access point their at 9 ports plus your wirelesses. I like the USB wireless WG11's because it frees up my pcmica slots and the cost is less per unit. And it is 108.11b or 108.11g wireless rates auto switching, but I run mine locked to 108.11g since all mine are and it keeps the sppeds up on the wirelesses at 54mbps... Tweaker. ____________________________________________________________________________ ___________________
Reply to
News

Wireless telephony has been around for decades. Google for mobile phone and cordless phone.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.