x86-based, barebone router

I need kind of a programmable router running on Linux or FreeBSD based on an x-86 arch-type box that should comsume the minimal amount of power (like a basic router) ... ~ Ideally I shouldn't even need a fan. Just the most minimal hardware to run networking, a firewall, rated DHCP (some internal ports get more bandwidth than other), port redirection ... ~ The thing is that most routers come programmed with their software or firmware and are hard to tinker with ~ How do you think I could/should go for it? ~ Do you know of people doing these kinds of things? ~ lbrtchx

Reply to
lbrtchx
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
And don't cross-post without a followup-to. Fixed.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Well, you could get a router running on GPL code like some routers from Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo, and others.

I have a Linksys WRT54G flashed with a 3rd party firmware HyperWRT+Thibor. The web configuration is extended but most important you have shell access on the box. For instance, I can configure the packet filter directly with iptables. If you need something special you can also compile your own binaries and install them.

A good starting point for reading is the web site of DD-WRT, another 3rd party firmware project for the WRT54G and more routers (other brands, too).

formatting link
In particular look at the Wiki where you can read which routers and brands can be flashed with DD-WRT (and other

3rd party firmware).

For the WRT54G you should also read

formatting link
If you buy the WRT be sure not to buy one of the versions with less memory like the WRT54Gv5,v6,v7.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

It's not always easy to find older hardware. The WRT54GL is a current model that supports DD-WRT as well as OpenWRT. It's not x86, but it is very simple hardware that supports linux readily.

--keith

Reply to
Keith Keller

You may wish to investigate David Davis CCIE: How do Vyatta's open source routers stack up to Cisco?

formatting link
and Vyatta - Welcome to Open-Source Networking:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese on Cisco Network World Magazine Cisco Subnet

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

formatting link

Reply to
Miguel De Anda

For quite some time, my home router was an old DEC machine - a dual Pentium 133 with 96 megs, and no hard drive. It ran Coyote Linux which I modified to use an SMP kernel just for kicks. While saturating a 6-megabit line with multiple bittorrents, I measured the electrical draw from the wall at 45 watts.

I have a couple of Via C3-based machines now which don't do any better, and one draws MORE power from the wall. Between having a hard drive, CD-ROM, and seemingly much lower-efficiency power supplies, the actual power draw is often 65 watts. A P3-650 with three hard drives in use as a file server only drew barely more than that.

As another comparison, I have some Athlon64 3800+ machines which, when under easy usage (say, surfing), only draw about 60 watts from the wall. In fact, in planning for UPS capacity, I found that those machines WITH a 19" LCD would only draw more than 100 watts together a few times during the "usage cycle" - startup, network login, normal usage, shutdown.

In any event, ANY of those machines will have much more than enough power for routing - the dual Pentium 133 very rarely exceeded a load of .02, and CPU time spent in system usage was rarely more than 1% or 2%.

As others have said, to get power levels much lower than those, you'll have to go to non-x86 hardware. One of the routers on which you can put Linux (and hence, customize to a great extent) will probably use 1/4 of that power.

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

I'm very happy with Soekris. Using OpenBSD. Heard good things about Monowall (Router/FW software FreeBSD based)

Reply to
God Rudy

I put a meter on my WRTSL54G (or whatever alphabet soup Linksys came up with) and it metered at a whopping 70 ma booting and about 140 ma when the radio came on.

I could be wrong on those numbers by a few ma, but work out the math:

140 ma @ 5v = .7W

Whee! a 200 MHz MIPS chip is a nice thing.

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

Most (all?) of the Linksys routers have ARM chips. Still nice, of course.

Reply to
Måns Rullgå

Are you sure about that? OpenWrt only has experimental arm support but very stable MIPS support. Most of the chips are MIPS.

formatting link

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

You're quite right. I was looking at that list some time ago, and most of the models on sale here (UK) seemed to be the ARM varieties.

Reply to
Måns Rullgå

Take something that can measure AC power, and see what it actually draws from the wall. I'm sure you lose more in conversion, rectifying, and filtering than you actually use for the router! :-)

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

No doubt, but this one is running off batteries. :-)

That's why I had to measure it - to make sure it didn't kill the batteries too quick.

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:55:01 -0800, CptDondo rearranged some electrons to form:

The DC input voltage for a WRT54G is 12V, not 5V.

140ma @ 12V = 1.7W

The power brick probably dissipates more than that in heat.

Reply to
David M

You could be right.... I'm going from memory. It's a wrtsl54gs; the one with the USB port. The setup has both 12V and 5V components on it.

It's still just a little bit of power, though, compared to a full-size computer.

Reply to
CptDondo

That is pretty nice. Even if it's 1.7 watts, it wouldn't take much of a battery to keep that running for quite some time. The units from mini-box that someone pointed out look pretty sweet, too... I'll have to see if I can think up a use for one of those.

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

Well, if you're really looking to power something off a battery for a long, long time check out the TS-7260 from embeddedarm.com . You can selectively slow the CPU, turn off various things, and do all sorts of power conserving tweaks. I think they got it down to something like 40 ma at 5V with everything turned off and the CPU slowed to next-to-nothing....

Reply to
CptDondo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.