Programmable device to block calls based on Caller ID?

Is there a programmable devices that I can hook up to my phone line to selectively block certain numbers e.g. block by area code, block by last 2 digits of the phone number, etc. I once had an old modem that provided the Caller ID number in a register, and I could determine what to do with the call based on the area code.

Reply to
cline
Loading thread data ...

selectively block certain numbers e.g. block by area code,

could determine what to do with the call based on

The 3Com Business Modem (formerly known as the USRobotics Courier V.Everything) model is still available and no doubt you can find one on eBay for next to nothing. This modem *IS* capable of displaying callerID and holding it in a register.

Reply to
wdg

Aren't the caller ID numbers usually held in the archives of the software being used?

Reply to
That guy.

Check out

formatting link
for the software. The hard can be just about any modem that will fit in your computer and decode callerid. Steve

Reply to
Steven Fleckenstein

The ability to display CID compared to the ability to store the number in a register which can be interrogated is two completely different scenarios. To my knowledge, the USR Courier (3Com Business Modem) is the only such modem so capable.

Reply to
wdg

ZyXEL U-1496??? 16.8K modem/fax/voice (~ 1995):

Register S40, bit 2 - Enable Caller Number Delivery. AT*T - Recall the last CND (Caller ID) information.

I believe the USR has some other mechanism.

Reply to
cline

I could determine what to do with the call based on

CallVantage (ATT) VoIP provides such a service (option).

Reply to
Rick Merrill

A couple of places made them in the "old days". One that you might be able to find today is from Zeus Phonestuff

formatting link
It won't be in the catalog and their web site is down this weekend, but the Whozz Calling single port had the ability to screen calls with a DOS program and block the call from ringing the phone port.

Another one that might be tougher to find is called the PC Receptionist from a company in, maybe NC, called Pewee International.

Some of the SOHO deals like SoloCall or Total E-Call, if available, would do what you're asking. My friend got one a couple of years ago that required a PIN number. I don't know if it screened by CID, but I sent him a message to see if it does.

Outside of that, hit Google for Caller-ID boxes and screening.

Carl Navaro

>
Reply to
Carl Navarro

I could determine what to do with the call based on

Here's the link, Privacy Call Screener/Manager/Center. Some interpretation required.

formatting link

Reply to
Carl Navarro

A simple modem with Caller ID won't give you the capability to "block" calls. It can only identify them after one ring. Then what? It could go off-hook and grab the call but that's about it.

I suggest considering some much more capable hardware.

formatting link
an SPA-3000 you can wait until the call is identified to decide whether or not to ring your phone. Instead of just dropping or ignoring calls you could reroute them (to voice mail). You could also transparently take advantage of VoIP possibilities.

(I have some ZyXel modems that I used for Caller ID long ago. I used an SPA-3000 for awhile but then decided to bypass my POTS line and just use a VoIP provider for incoming service.)

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

to selectively block certain numbers e.g. block by area code,

register, and I could determine what to do with the call based on

The new Caller ID Manager:

formatting link
block any area code, prefix or number set using specific numbers or wildcards, and can be used to block local, long distance, international and cell phone calls.

At your option it will also block all anonymous, private and unidentified calls. You can send the caller directly to the answering device without ringing the phone, allow the caller to ring your phone(s), send the caller directly to an extension without ringing other phones or ignore the call completely without ringing any phones.

Feel free to contact us for further information at 888 633 5777,

9AM-5PM PST, M-F or visit
formatting link
Reply to
Ken

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.