What is it called?

What is the correct terminology for the "device" out on the street which contains the DSL electronics. This is the device where the wire from the point of service (home) Network Interface Device box terminates. Remote Terminal? Local Multiplexor?

Reply to
Vic Dura
Loading thread data ...

Vic Dura wrote in part:

It is usually not "out on the street" [pedestal]. A DSLAM (DSL Access Module) is usually located in a CO (Central Office) or RT (Remote Terminal) where it can get power and an upstream datafeed.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:39:53 GMT, Robert Redelmeier wrote Re Re: What is it called?:

Around here we have these "devices" that are about the size of a large refrigerator or two. They are located on side of the road on concrete pads. There aren't many of them, only about one per neighborhood. The do have power to them as they have electric power meters on them. The phone wire from nearby homes goes to these devices which handle both DSL and voice. I think they may be called "Remote Terminal" but am not sure. The device in my neighborhood always provided our voice service, but we could not get DSL until this device was upgraded and enlarged last year.

There is about 1700 feet of wire from the device to my NID and I have

1.5Mbps DSL service, but I only get about 60% of that speed on average. That seems low to me given how short the wire is to the device. Does "Remote Terminal" seem to be the correct term for it?
Reply to
Vic Dura

Vic Dura wrote in part:

We have such things, but they aren't very deep, and don't contain active electronics. Our DSLAMs are in the RT, a prefab 8x10x20' building.

I guess telco practice can vary, but I'd look very carefully for weatherproofed cooling air vents on your box. Probably with fans.

It seems low to me too. When I had 1.5 service about 3000 wire-feet from my RT, I'd get 1.3 Mbit/s download speed from test sites, and 140 kByte/s ftp downloads. Check for good line connections, and no unfiltered devices (like alarm systems).

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.