server

Can you use a PC as a server, the answer is yes.

Check your Internet Service Provicer contract to see if it allows you to legally run a server on the connection you want to use. On this I'm not going to go into other than to say that if your contract does not allow you to run a server the ISP may take you to court or just turn off your access.

As for your Dynamic/Static with or without router question, the simple answer is that it can be done provided you register with a Dynamic DNS provider and run a small program on your computer that keeps things updated.

The following link will give you much more information about Dynamic DNS setups than I care to think about.

formatting link
Remove the zap for my temporary return address...

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist
Loading thread data ...

Dynamic DNS can give a dynamic IP a static name. I use no-ip.com, but you can find others with a web search for 'dns hosting'. I use Linux for my PPPoE/firewall/router, so I run their Unix update client automatically whenever pppoe gets an IP.

If your router does not support a particular dynamic DNS service, you could run a service or daemon on a PC that would periodically connect to have them grab your public IP. Or if your IP rarely changes, it can usually be updated with a web browser.

Of course you would need to configure your router to forward necessary port(s) to the private IP of your server (if not set as DMZ).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Can I use a PC(having private address and port) connected to a router as a server? . If router is having static public IP and if in another scenario router having dynamic public IP.

How can others access the server. tq

Reply to
v

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.