Netopia 4652 PPPoA - trouble understanding how to configure static WAN IP..

I worked on this hours yesterday, checked the netopia website and the newsgroups, and I still can't seem to get it to work the way I want. I hope someone can shed some light on how to do this the right way. The router is configured for ATM-DSL and PPP auth. with Covad.

I'm trying to configure a private non-routable IP for the ethernet address and one of the public ip addresses that was assgined to us for the WAN address on a Netopia 4652 router. I want to use NAT, and I want the router to be visible from the Internet. I also plan to configure a site-to-site vpn later on.

Here are the details of my journey.

The router came with a public IP configured for the ethernet address and the WAN IP was configured with 0.0.0.0. I configured my computer with one of the public IP's assigned to us and I used the ethernet IP of the router as the default gateway and I could access the Internet and the router's ethernet IP was visible on the Internet when I pinged it using my cable modem internet connection. When, I looked at the quick view screen I can see that the WAN IP of the router was

172.18.0.x (a private address) and the default IP gateway was 127.0.0.2. I read up on it and I learned that the router acts as a DHCP client. Of course, this makes no sense to me so I try to configure it they way I have configured cisco routers, a private lan address and a public wan address.

I change the ethernet address to a private non-routable one,

192.168.1.1. I change the WAN address to one of the public ones assigned to us, I choose the public address that was formerly configured as the ethernet address 68.167.x.x I configure the profile to do NAT and I reboot the router. I configure my computer with 192.168.1.2 for an IP and 192.168.1.1 as the gateway. I cannot acess the Internet and I cannot ping its WAN IP from my cable modem connection. I look at the router status and I see the WAN IP says 0.0.0.0 even though I assigned one statically. I assign a different public IP for the WAN with the same results.

I then change the WAN IP back to 0.0.0.0 and reboot the router. I can now access the Internet using NAT, my workstation is configured with

192.168.1.2 and it works, but I still have the isssue of not being able to ping or access the router from the internet, and now the router is pulling down that 172.18.0.x wan address again. I tried contacting Netopia but they were closed.

Can anyone help me out with this one? I'm stuck! Thanks NH

Reply to
Ned Hart
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.