Linksys BEFSR41 Router question.

I bought this for our SBC Yahoo DSL hook up off the modem. The software that comes with it is the question. Do I have to install the software on each computer that we will be hooking up to the router or just one?

Reply to
bdeditch
Loading thread data ...

I concur with Leslie, why would you need to install software on any computer to use a router?

Reply to
Kay Archer

bdeditch ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) wrote: : I bought this for our SBC Yahoo DSL hook up off the modem. The software : that comes with it is the question. Do I have to install the software : on each computer that we will be hooking up to the router or just one? :

Assuming you have a plain Linksys BEFSR41 router, don't install the Linksys BEFSR41 software on any computer

I've set up LANs for both DSL and cable broadband without using any Linksys software, including this VAXStation 4000 model 96 I'm posting from.

--Jerry Leslie Note: snipped-for-privacy@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

Reply to
leslie

Linksys now ships a software CD with a big alarming "INSTALL THIS FIRST" message on it, and covers the LAN ports on the back of the router with a big orange sticker insisting you install the software CD before connecting any cables. They're just trying to idiot-proof the setup -- not needed of course -- should be able to connect to one of the router's LAN ports on http://192.168.1.1 , username blank, password admin. For SBC, set up the WAN configuration to log in as PPPoE with your SBC username and password.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

I took this router back, bought a Net Gear RP 614 Ver. 3. With a little help for tech support we now have 3 computers on the same dsl account

Reply to
bdeditch

You don't really give us enough information to answer your question.

Typically the DSL modem will come configured for your account and you shouldn't need any software. If you are going to use more than one computer, you MUST have a router of some kind. Basically the equipment sequence is dsl line/dsl modem/computer OR dsl line/dsl modem/router/a home full of computers.

Reply to
John S.

I got the same router recently, love it.

Reply to
John Hale

If you needed help from tech support to set up your new router, then the answer to your original question would be "Yes, you do need to run the software on every computer".

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

GREAT!!

Reply to
John S.

Actually on the computer with XP we did not have to use the disc.

Reply to
bdeditch

In addition, check out your dsl modem to verify it does NOT have a built-in router functionality... many do. If this warning applys, you will need to surf into the dsl modem and "bridge the connection" to bypass the modems built-in PPPoE client.

P2E

bdeditch Wrote:

The software

Reply to
Press2Esc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.