uPNP - needed on WiFi router?

Yep.

See:

formatting link
wireless devices, see:
formatting link
basic idea is to have the router and client be automatically configured. I theory, all UPnP network devices self configure themselves when you plug them in. The most common application is for MSN Messenger to punch holes in the firewall so it can communicate. If the router supports UPnP, then a client that plugs in be automatically configured and ready to run when first connected. This is more than DHCP, which traditionally only delivers IP addresses as UPnP will also deliver Windoze settings and options.

You can watch it work by enabling UPnP in the NAT router, and in the XP client. Then, dive into the router port forwarding configuration screen. You'll find that you now have two extra ports forwarded for every XP workstation, each allocated to MSN Messenger.

There are some bizarre rants on the net about security holes and flaws in UPnP.

formatting link
's a good and sane summary by one of the authors of UPnP:
formatting link
it doesn't really cover the fundamental issue of whether you really want your clients re-reconfigured by the first router it blunders across, or whether you really need your firewall Swiss Cheesed full of holes by uncontrollable services.

I turn it off in both the router and the client.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

If you use MSN Messenger for video or audio conversations, you need to use UPnP. In addition, if you play certain games over the network (especially, on the X-box) you may have to use UPnP. In general, if a remote computer has to contact your computer on a port whose number is constantly changing and your computer is behind a router, it helps to use UPnP - if the application supports it. Of course, you could always manually set up port forwarding...

So, if you do not play games and do not have any reason to allow remote computers to initiate connections to your computer then you will not miss much if you turn off UPnP.

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

Today when I was sitting with my laptop, I noticed that there was a lot of back and forth wireless traffic. I brought up my analyzer, and it shows that the Access Point is broadcasting uPNP packets on port 5000, and then any XP machine will reply on port 5678.

Where and when would uPNP be useful on the WiFi router...

Reply to
Phil Schuman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.