DSL setup info

Is there anyplace I can get info on setting up a DSL service with SBC/Yahoo without using their Proprietary CD?? I don't want to put all that junk/crap on my computer as I already have a good firewall, browser, pop-up blocker, etc, etc. I have the ethernet card installed already, but don't have the modem yet (it's in the mail).

What steps and info should I get from tech support so that I can manualy configure my machine without running their CD?? Is there a web site that could guide me?

Thanks for any info. And yes I know that SBC/Yahoo is not a very good DSL operation, but it's the only game in town!

Reply to
The Seabat
Loading thread data ...

Just unselect the software during the install and it will not be installed (admittadly a fix from previous versions of the install disk.). Exceptions: IE 6 will be installed for some versions of Windows that don't have 5.5 or later.

Depends on which modem you are getting.

5100b, use IE to access the modem: http://192.168.0.1 2wire, use IE to access the setup program: http://gateway.2wire/setupFor the initial setup the userid is snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net, pw: sbcyahooreg Once your modem is connected, browse to
formatting link
and complete the registration. Return to the address above to enter your new userid (including @sbcglobal.net) and password into the modem.

5.1 million DSL subscribers* could be wrong...

• formatting link

Reply to
Kay Archer

formatting link

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

At least this one would rather be with DSL Extreme, if he had the money to pay for it.

Reply to
NormanM

I used that info to install and register my boss' SBC Yahoo DSL without even opening the CD.

Not sure what Seabat thinks is wrong with SBC Yahoo. I have been using it since 1/2002, and only had a couple of instances when login was interrupted for more than a few minutes, and maybe 2 cases of network slowdown. Although, I mostly use other sources (my old Unix ISP) for mail and news.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.