does direction matter with dsl phone filters?

I'm getting verizon dsl and the kit that came in the mail has five dsl filters in it. The filters go on the phones to filter the dsl band from getting in the phones. The filters seem be have a preferred orientation (one socket labeled 'phone'). Do these filters not work as well if you connect the phone in the opposite sense? The reason I don't want to use the preferred sense is that the wall jack is half way up the wall and I don't want the filter to be hanging off the middle of the wall. I'd prefer it to be on the table next to the phone. But since the phone has a female port, I'd have to use a jumper and a female-to-female adapter or just use the filter in the reverse direction. I talked to a networking guy and he thought it would work but it wouldn't be as effective as the preferred way.

Mark

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

Probably not; the filter is low-pass, and that can mean unidirectional. Just go to a place like Radio Shack and get a female-to-female adapter.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

Interesting question....I just tried it, seems to work fine.

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

The pigtail is not removable with the filters I got from Verizon about

2-3 weeks ago. But, it may vary from place to place.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

I found that these filters are directional...not that they will not work, but things like call id were not working when I first installed mine, but once I reversed the direction the call id started to work again...so IMO they are directional.

jch

Reply to
John H

snipped-for-privacy@xxxyy.com (Mark) wrote in news:4147ac08$0$2672$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

It's been a while since I've actually looked at mine, but I remember that the "pigtail" is removable and can be plugged into either end of the filter. I do know that some of mine are plugged into the wall jack and some are plugged into the base of the phone, and all are going in the right direction.

If yours can't be turned around, there's a slightly more expensive solution of buying a wallplate with an integrated DSL filter; Qwest gave me one as part of my DSL installation kit along with a few of the inline sort, but I suppose you can buy them at Radio Shack or somewhere.

I ->think they're really directional. Even though it may reduce the noise in your phone when plugged in "backward", make sure it's not degrading your DSL connection, or affecting the ability of your other phones to ring.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

To answer my own post, I found in some documentation that it does matter (the filters are directional). Mark

Reply to
Mark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.