DHCP problem with Bridged Ethernet

Hi,

I need to setup a DHCP/Bridged Ethernet connection on my ADSL modem. I know the correct VPI/VCI value to be used for this but I'm not sure if LLCSNAP or VCMux should be used as encapsulation. I have configured my modem using both encapsulation methods just to be sure, however I cannot get an IP address in either configuration (LLCSNAP or VCMux).

Are there other compatibility issues or configurations that I need to check with my ISP/DSL provider?

Also, my modem supports RFC-2684 Bridged Ethernet. Will it be an issue if the provider uses RFC-1483 Bridged Ethernet?

Thanks, Ennui

Reply to
en.nui
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Tony

Hi,

The default values don't work. I did not get the modem from DSL/ISP provider.

Can it be that the "bridged ethernet" implementation of my modem is not compatible with the provider's implementation?

Thanks, ennui

Ayon kay Tony:

Reply to
en.nui

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Tony

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. My setup is not in US and I'm not a Bell subscriber, I just cross posted to bell accidentally.

Thanks, Ennui

Ayon kay Tony:

Reply to
en.nui

How do I upgrade the firmware on a Westell 2100/2200/6100 modem? (#5421)

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO UPDATE FIRMWARE ON YOUR WESTELL. Firmware is model specific and is not interchangeable between the 2100,

2200 and 6100 models! To verify your model number please check the sticker on the bottom of modem. 2100 (model A90-210030-04) Current firmware is A90-210030-v1-6-33.upg 2200 (model B90-220030-04) Current firmware is B90-220030-v1-6-57.upg. 6100 (model B90-610030-06) Current firmware is B99-610030_VER_3_07_02.upg. 6100 (model C90-610030-06) Current firmware is C99-610030_VER_3_07_02.upg.

Updating the firmware may delete/default previous configuration settings you may have made. You should note any custom configurations you currently have and double check them after you update the firmware. Your actual screen shots may vary slightly from the ones shown below but the basic steps and functionality is the same. IMPORTANT NOTE: You will not be able to directly access the Westell interface if it is connected in conjunction with another router. Most routers can not forward a local 192.168.xxx.xxx address to another network device (the Westell in this case). You must run the Westell directly to a computer NIC to gain access. Make sure your NIC is set to obtain an IP automatically, reset the Westell, restart the computer to get the proper IP subnet, make the needed changes, and then set the Westell back to bridged mode. The BellSouth supplied models are provisioned specifically for FastAccess. They are functionally different from retail Westells (or models produced for other ISPs) and the firmware between them are not compatible and can not be interchanged.

Section 1 - Update instructions for Westell modems currently using firmware 1.06.15 or higher

There are two ways to update the firmware:

1) Update Software directly from BellSouth Server The modem will automatically check the BellSouth Support Site for the latest update, download it, and start the update procedure.

or

2) Update software from PC file Requires you to manually download the firmware file, browse your PC, and install the file. If you have a 6100 go to the BellSouth Support Site and download the newest firmware. If you have a 2100 or 2200 modem go to the BellSouth Firmware Archive and download the highest firmware available. Save the firmware file in a convenient place so it is easy to find later in the upgrade process. Step 1 Launch your internet browser and type »launchmodem or »192.168.1.254 in the address field. This will launch the Westell Modem Interface.

Step 2 Click on the Upgrade Device button on the left menu.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Tony

Hi,

Thanks for the help but I need to use my modem for development so I cannot use any other modems.

I need to find out why DHCP does not work for my specific modem.

ennui

Reply to
en.nui

B99-610030_VER_3_07_02.upg.

C99-610030_VER_3_07_02.upg.

Reply to
Tony

B99-610030_VER_3_07_02.upg.

C99-610030_VER_3_07_02.upg.

Reply to
Tony

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.