Change DSL provider

I would like to change my DSL provider from my local ISP, who actually buys the DSL service from BellSouth (BS), directly to BS. I want to minimize any down-time without DSL, so I was thinking that I would order DSL FastAccess from BS and then when the modem from BS arrives I would swap it out with my ISP modem and configure it and get it working. Then I could cancel my ISP DSL service. Prior to canceling my ISP DSL I would therefore effectively have two DSL services over the same line: with the service being determined by which modem is connected. Of course, only one modem would be connected at any given time.

Would that procedure work or do I have to cancel (shut down) my ISP DSL service first?

Reply to
Vic Dura
Loading thread data ...

"Vic Dura" wrote

Nice idea but there is exactly ZERO chance that it will work the way you described. Old service must be disconnected before the new one is activated.

Most likely you will be without service for a few days. Ask Bell South what you should do. They might be able to take both orders and associate them so that your outage is only a few hours (if you get real lucky).

Reply to
Ken Abrams

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:24:19 GMT, "Ken Abrams" wrote Re Re: Change DSL provider:

Thanks for the comments Ken. I was hoping that the connection was entirely controlled by the modem, but I guess that is not the case?

Best regards,

Reply to
Vic Dura

The later. But Bellsouth might be able to make it happen without much if any downtime. No mater how neutral they claim to be my experience is things in favor of BS happen much more cleanly than the other situations.

Now that you've made this choice, are you sure? I've had nothing but bad experiences with BS for years. Tech support out of India. Canned answers no mater if the question fits the script. And on and on and on.

Reply to
DLR

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:35:47 -0400, DLR wrote Re Re: Change DSL provider:

Well, I'm not really sure, but I've been having pretty bad customer support with my current ISP (Hiwaay.net). It took me ten days to convince them that there was a severe connectivity & speed problem between my phone company NID and the rest of the world. When I finally got them to call BS, they came back with ".. oh yes, there seems to be a problem and BS is working on it.." I was telling them that on the second day.

I knowingly signed up with this ISP at $12/month more than BS would charge for the DSL because I expected them to provide better service than BS would provide. I don't like BS and I don't like to deal with them so I figured it would be worth the $12/month to have the ISP handle it. An initial DSL problem was handled just as poorly by the ISP. That's 2/2 and I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the extra $12/month.

I can't imagine BS being worse, but then I didn't know about the India tech support. That is something I don't like at all (and the reason we moved away from DELL computers).

Reply to
Vic Dura

I like Portbridge in Raleigh, NC. Pricing the same as BS, but if I had to I could drive over to their office. Real nice folks. Use DSL reports to see who's near you and has good ratings.

Reply to
DLR

One thing you might want to consider before switching is what affect AT&T's new privacy policy will have on Bell South. AT&T just put a new privacy policy into affect and it's been getting a lot of bad press, my understanding is that AT&T can track everything you do and then do whatever they want with that information. Since AT&T is in the process of acquiring Bell South I would expect Bell South it change to a similar policy or AT&T's policy will apply to Bell South once the acquisition is complete.

Reply to
Someone

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:10:35 -0400, Someone wrote Re Re: Change DSL provider:

I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.