Changing ISPs

Hello,

I currently have dsl service with ISP-A, using a modem provided by ISP-A to connect to the Internet. I would like to try the service of ISP-B and was wondering if I could do that by just swapping the dsl modem provided by B for the dsl modem provided by A without canceling the service provided by A. That would enable me to test B's service to see how good it is. Is that possible, or do I have to cancel A's service first before replacing A's modem with B's modem?

Thanks for any comments.

Reply to
Caesar Romano
Loading thread data ...

Caesar Romano wrote in part:

Well, anything is possible. But I highly doubt the modem is the rate limiter. More likely settings inside the DSLAM (the "head" end inside the telco CO, RT or microRT) control the service.

If you want to check, dig out the technical specifications on the two modems (see mfr websites) and compare speeds & services. If your current modem will cover the new speed, it is very unlikely switching would help. It might if your modem is ancient.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:15:57 +0000 (UTC), Robert Redelmeier wrote Re Re: Changing ISPs:

Thanks, but I didn't do a good job explaining what I want to do.

I want to switch from isp A to isp B without terminating my service with A. What I am wondering is can I use A's dsl modem to connect to isp A and switch wires to B's dsl modem to connect to B? I guess I'm wondering if the isp I connect to is determined by the modem I use or is it determined someplace outside my home?

Thanks.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Caesar Romano wrote in part:

You can only do this on a separate pair (phone line). AFAIK, only _one_ DSL signal can fit on a POTS line.

OTOH, there is nothing that stops you from having two lines, each with separate DSL. Someplaces will even sell you DSL without needing phone service. You'll need a second ethercard. Most premises wiring in the past 40 years (quad or later) has been good for two lines.

Such a setup is a cheap way to do "multi-homing", but may not really be unless you're connecting to a CO, and each of the ISPs has their own routers there. With the right routing software, some requests go to ISP A, others to B .

HTH

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 01:58:46 +0000 (UTC), Robert Redelmeier wrote Re Re: Changing ISPs:

Thanks very much for you comments Robert.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Robert is correct, for DSL home use, one line equals one ISP.

Consider your present DSL line a pipe. One end has your modem and the other end is your ISP's router. Any DSL modem you install at your end will still only be able to contact the router your ISP has your phone line set to use.

I use Qwest as my DSL provider but no longer use their supplied modem. I purchased a D-Link DSL-2640b which Qwest does not actively support, as in no tech support. The unit works just fine once I manually configured it to what Qwest's router wanted to see from my end. So yes you could most likely use the other ISP's modem on your existing line but it will still only connect with your present ISP, and only if you correctly configure it to what your current ISP expects to see from your site.

Only if you order another line going to the other ISP will you be able to connect with them directly with out killing your existing line first.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.