Linksys WRT54G Version 8. Where Can I Buy It?

I really looked just about everywhere in the Tampa, Florida, area. I cannot locate this Linksys wireless router. I need to have Version

1. Does anyone up here know where I could order one? Thanks!

maria

Reply to
maria
Loading thread data ...

maria hath wroth:

Why on earth would you want a WRT54G v8? It can't run alternative firmware and the antennas are non-removeable. There's nothing really unique about it otherwise.

If you must have one, the only way to be sure you're actually getting a v8 mutation is to check the serial number on the box. Otherwise, all the other boxes look identical. Look for serials beginning with CDFF or CDFG.

Unfortunately, few online vendors mention the hardware mutation in their advertising. About the only way to make sure you get a v8 is to ask.

However, I did find a v8 advertised on eBay:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

You mentioned earlier that you preferred the Buffalo one. Which Buffalo wireless should I get? And where can I find it? Once again, thank you very much. You have been of much help.

maria

Reply to
maria

• I've had good luck with WHR-HP-G54 which I've been finding at Best Buy in Southeast Florida anyway. Jeff may have another preference. It also can depend on what all you want to do with it. It will take after-market firmware such as DD-WRT, although going back to the Factory firmware "aint exactly easy". It becomes quite a powerful router with DD-WRT. The flashing of the firmware is a bit tricky, you can't do it from a graphical web page. But the instructions are available online on DD-WRT's Wiki.

Jeff do you know what the latest news is on the WRT54GL ? I read somewhere that they mucked it up somehow on later ones. WRT54GL was the re-release of the WRT54G after they cut-over to VxWorks for their firmware software and made them unable to take after-market firmware flashes.

Reply to
Alan Spicer

maria hath wroth:

You haven't specified what you're going to do with this router so I can't even begin to determine if either the WRT54G v8 or whatever is the appropriate solution. Please do NOT consider this a recommendation.

I'm partial to the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54.

However, my reasons probably do not apply to whatever you're doing. I like it because it works quite well with alternative firmware such as DD-WRT. The stock Buffalo firmware is fine, but I have very little experience with it. I received a box of 10 routers last week and immediately installed DD-WRT firmware without even bothering to look at the stock firmware.

If you don't need the higher power xmitter, and want to save a few dollars, the WHR-G54S will work. It's quite similar inside, but lacks the tx power amplifier chips:

I've been using these lately for coffee shops, which don't need or want high tx power.

I don't have any specific recommendation as to where to purchase one of these. Google Products offers a list:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Alan Spicer" hath wroth:

The WRT54GL is a WRT54G v4 with a different label, serial number, and price tag. I've torn both apart about 6 months ago and compared the guts. They were identical (and I forgot to take photos).

The GL never ran VxWorks. It was v5 and above that switched to half the FLASH, half the RAM, and VxWorks. The WRT54GL has always run Linux. I haven't heard any rumors of problems but I can imagine how they started. It's quite an ordeal getting v5 or v6 to accept DD-WRT or OpenWRT. Someone probably failed and blamed the router. They may also have gotten it confused with V7, which uses an Atheros chipset and can't use any alternative firmware. Someone may have swapped boards inside a GL box. Dunno.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.