Wireless Speed

My Desktop PC which is wired to my router can achieve a download speed of

10Mbps but all my wireless devices, Ipad,Smartphone and Laptop achieve less than 2Mbps - Why?
Reply to
JJFFNN
Loading thread data ...

Make and model of your wireless router? If the router is 802.11b only, that's about what you'll average, with about 5Mbits/sec being the maximum for 802.11b.

If you're sharing the bandwidth with dedicated always on streaming wireless devices such as streaming video, security cameras, or Bitorrent addicts, you're sharing the available wireless bandwith with them. Do your speed testing with only one router and one wireless device running. If you're running an open wireless router, with no encryption, you have my sympathies. If you have an interference problem with other wi-fi routers in the area, try a different channel (1, 6, or 11).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Do you live in an area that has thick air?

Reply to
Usenet Support Personnel

Ro#uter is Linksys WAG160N 'n' -My need is to improve my wireless devices whch when used individually come up with the same download speed of less than 2, however my upload speeds are better at 0.75.the latter being the same as my wired Desktop computer.

Reply to
JJFFNN

what exactly are you basing this "speed" upon - A download website..... which one ?

Also - what is your Internet connection, and avail subscribed speed ?

Just trying to make sure we are looking at a real download speed, and not some speed reported by clicking on a desktop network icon.

Reply to
ps56k

My speed check is via Global Speed Test; My ISP suggests I should get something just below my wired speed of 10 Mbps as measured by Global instead of less than 2 Mbps at my wireless devices.

Should I consider changing my Access Point Routerto something other than my Linksys unit?

Reply to
JJFFNN

No your problem is TOP posting. Screws up all sorts of things.

Reply to
no_one

Don't think anybody will be taking lessons from someone who quotes an entire post just to add one line.

Reply to
alexd

Having done a series of tests with Linksys, came to conclusion Router has seen better days!(I think I may have been living with problem for some time and not realised it).Various forums have indicated problem is not uncommom with this Linksys Router. Have bought new Router and now all is well.

Reply to
JJFFNN

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.