Wireless slowdown problem

Hi,

Firstly apologies if something like this is already on here. I've had a good look through and can't find anything so here goes,

For some reason my wireless connection seems to slow down over time. What i mean is that immediately after turning my machine on, my network connection whizzes along fine, then about 10-15mins later browsing and downloading is reduced to a crawl, download tests (through a network card traffic monitor) says 2kbps, when it first connects i get 3.6mbps.

My machine is an athlon 64 3000+ running at 1.3GHz, 1 Gig of RAM with XP Pro SP2 (fully updated, not the x64 version though). The machine runs fine, apart from the internet connection. I was using a Netgear Range max wireless usb dongle (WPN111GE) and thought that might be the issue. I've just installed a D-link 53Mbps pci card (DWL-G510), hoping that would solve the problem, but exactly the same thing happens.

The router is a 54Mbps dsl netgear one (WGR614, with latest firmware on) and that is connected to a virgin cable modem via ethernet.

This problem only happens on my desktop PC. When i connect it directly using a huge long ethernet cable, I don't have a problem. My laptop and my three housemate's laptops don't have any problem either (They are all running XP SP2 as well).

I'm running Avast antivirus and switching it off has no effect, nor does turning off the windows firewall. If i disable the wireless card then re-enable it, it seems to sort itself, then slows up again. I'm thinking is must be the hardware, but to happen to two different bits of kit from different manufacturers is a bit weird. It is the same issue in IE7 and firefox.

I've tried flushing the dns cache and in the event viewer is said i was reaching the maximum TCP/IP connection limit, so i have patched that and increased it to 40 (from 10). No luck. I have done a system restore to a point when i thought it was ok, a couple of months ago but again, no luck.

And i have tried turning everything off and back on again. A lot.

Any help would be massively appreciated, cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
HeroBadger
Loading thread data ...

Let me guess -- you're running a filesharing client? ;)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:43:51 -0500, HeroBadger wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.