wireless router to wireless router, wirelessly, possible?

Hello all,

Have an old computer with ethernet and would like to find a cheap wireless solution to get it to my wireless LAN. PCI,USB, et. al. adapters are not possible. I intend to use the ethernet card in the box now and hook into something wireless to get me connected to the WLAN.

Before buying I am trying to figure out if I can use a wireless router to talk to another wireless router? They are much cheaper than a wireless ethernet bridge and offer more utility as well.

Has anyone done this? Some sort of ad-hoc type connection between Wireless routers? Or am I stuck buying a wireless bridge/router or an wireless ethernet bridge?

Richard

Reply to
richard.hubbell
Loading thread data ...

router

There are a fews options with the WRT54G Linksys product using 3rd party firmware such as Sveasoft. I use a WRT54g and a WAP54g for the same purpose. The WAP54g is in AP client mode....works well.

Reply to
Airhead

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1114284209.511522.312690 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

This si one possible way of connecting two routers and both routers are wireless. I followed that procedure to connect my wireless Linksys router to my Ethernet WatchGuard FW appliance so that I could still have wireless and the wireless router with its Ethernet LAN ports became a wire/wireless AP switch could use the switch and machines wired or wireless on both devices could access the Internet and share resources between machines.

formatting link

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.