dial-up to wireless router

Can someone suggest how to hook a wireless router up to a dial-up connection in an infrastructure configuration? I've done it in an ad hoc network, but need an infrastructure network.

Reply to
M E Williams
Loading thread data ...

Well, besides the RTFNG answer, there's still

formatting link

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Thanks. Sounds like it ought to work. I should have a free day later this week to try it out. I was trying to demonstrate a wireless network for our Club, but we cannot get wideband to the meeting room. Slow was expected, ugly is ok, works is required.

Myr>>connection in an infrastructure configuration? I've done it in an ad hoc

Reply to
M E Williams

Which OS? WinXP (or even Win98 with ICS) shouldn't be difficult -- just bridge the computer's NIC to it's modem. If you want ICS (yuck!) to do the routing stuff (and DHCP), CAT5 the NIC to one of the router's LAN ports. If you want the router to do all the routing stiuff (and DHCP), CAT5 the NIC to the router's WAN. Either way should work. In fact, I used the latter to get a wireless router talking with a dialup (internal PC modem) for a short period before getting broadband. Its messy, its slow, its ugly, but it works. :^)

Cheers Eric

Reply to
Eric

Apple Airport Extreme too

formatting link

Reply to
bumtracks

Do you have exerience with the Apple Airport Extreme with Win XP?

I am considering this over the Wiflyer as it appears to offer WPA and a few other goodies.

The user notes seem to > Apple Airport Extreme too

Reply to
hxbarney

I've used both, and both seemed to work well, though I haven't used either of them with dialup.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

~ Do you have exerience with the Apple Airport Extreme with Win XP?

My mom has an Airport Extreme configured for dialup to her ISP, and I've accessed it from my XP laptop with no problems.

You don't get the same integration with the OS as you would with OS X though ... from her iBook, for example, she can tell the Airport Extreme to dial up or hang up ... you don't get this function in XP.

~ ~ I am considering this over the Wiflyer as it appears to offer WPA and a ~ few other goodies. ~ ~ The user notes seem to indicate that some ISPs will not support a ~ connection from an Apple Airport Extreme.

This "will not support" means that they're not going to hold your hand if you can't figure out how to configure your Airport Extreme to dial into them and authenticate in PAP/CHAP, while they might be willing to hold your hand if you were dialing in from Windows.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.