Hub to Wireless AP to Wireless Router

Hi,

I'm supposed to help someone with their network set up. He has a WRT54G connected to his cable modem and that works fine. However, he's adding a WAP54G downstairs and would like to connect a small hub to it. He would then connect his computers to the hub for a wired connection.

Knowing that this is the setup he wants to use (ie, not put wireless network cards in the downstairs computers) then there shouldn't be any unusual problems, right? I'm familiar with wireless routers but not access points that much. Would someone be kind enough to give me some pointers on how the the WAP should be configured?

Thanks!

Reply to
seijin
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

You need to route a UTP cable between new WAP54G - downstairs to existing WRT54G router, then you will have one network all over the house.

Panda,

formatting link

Reply to
Panda

Correct me if I'm wrong but that pretty much defeats the purpose of having the WAP in the first place, yes? Wireless from the WRT54G to the WAP54G and then wired from the WAP54G to the hub.

Thanks, though.

Reply to
seijin

I think you want to use the WAP as a wireless ethernet bridge, not as an AP. That's the confusion.

It looks like you maybe can do that. A quick search found this answer:

formatting link
here's another :
formatting link
The answers are there for the googling, no doubt.

If, you can't get the WAP54G to work as a client bridge, then instead of buying a dedicated wireless bridge, it would be more reliable to get a set of powerline networking adapters and use the household wiring system to extend the network to the basement. From there, you can connect the hub to the client powerline adapter.

formatting link
Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Two more thoughts:

1) read the manual? I'd try the linksys site for a pdf

2) will it take dd-wrt ? DD-wrt will give you client bridging mode. Check the dd-wrt site here:

formatting link
version numbers are important.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.