Primer for Connecting Laptops only to LAN

I want to setup the approximately 10 laptops in our office to connect to the LAN anywhere in the building. I know I want to secure it using MAC Address filtering and no broadcasting. I'm having a hard time finding instructional material that will take me from that high-level to the next level of selecting equipment and making a check list of other tasks I may have forgotten.

Reply to
loafing
Loading thread data ...

I will look into that, but what equipment would be required to plug into to my LAN Switch? Also, do you know of a document that details this stuff?

Reply to
loafing

Forget the MAC addressing and the not broadcasting the SSID.

Set up WPA encryption.

Reply to
Jerry Park

No. I'd google for information.

Lots of different brands of AP's and wireless access cards. Just have to look.

Reply to
Jerry Park

connect

using

high-level

This is about hotspot deployment but all the info applies to any wireless lan. Intel also has a lot of other good info at their site.

formatting link

Reply to
Airhead

Reply to
whiner

Anything to throw a monkey wrench at them. If these notebooks contain wireless chips then I guess for convenience you're locked into WPA, et al.

However, if you have the option of buying new adapters, maybe:

(1) Going all 802.11a (not as great range, but it prunes the tree of hackers, who are mostly scanning for B+G.

(2) Maybe consider Belkin's PRE-N router and notebook adapters. Its Pre N standard but you can change the hardware in a year for short money, given what it costs to maintain an office.

Reply to
Pat

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking at getting a 3Com® Wireless LAN Access Point 7250 with a poe adapter to test out. Anyone have any opions on this device? I like it because of the roaming, poe, 3Com, range, and cost.

Reply to
loafing

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.