wireless problems

hi there, someone near to me as just installed a wireless network the signal is so strong it's starting to cause problems with my laptop, the signal keeps causing my sometimes weak signal to drop out! Any ideas?

Bob

Reply to
bob garbutt
Loading thread data ...

Switch channel.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

bob garbutt hath wroth:

1. Change channels to 1, 6 or 11.
  2. If your signal is weak, do something to make it stronger. I suggest playing with antennas on your wireless router.
  3. Redirect your signal AWAY from the neighbors direction.
    formatting link
    Reposition your router so that there's a wall or obstruction between you and the neighbor. Don't put it in a window. A slab of RF absorbent material (carbon foam, wet towel, pile of junk) positioned between you and the neighbors might help.
  4. Discuss the matter with the neighbor and ask them to position their wireless router in the same manner as #3.
  5. If your client radios are dual band (2.4/5.7GHz), then buy an
802.11a (5.7GHz) access point and use it instead.
  1. Give up and run CAT5 cables around the house.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Why rewire when there are HomePlug and HomePNA available?

Reply to
BillW50

I have to agree here. The technology is there, may as well use it.

Reply to
Dana

"BillW50" hath wroth:

Because I forgot to mention those as suitable alternatives. Thanks. Given the choice between power or phone line networking, versus CAT5 cable, I'll always prefer CAT5. Also, if you're into HF ham radio, power and phone line networking is generally a bad idea due to the RF noise they generate.

It's also possible to share the CATV coax cable with data:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.