Wireless Problem Dell Notebook

Hi I have a friend that has a new Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop that is having a strange problem with its Wireless card.

The Laptop is Running Windows XP Home Edition, and the Wireless Card is Intel ProWireless 3945

The Card connects to our work Wireless Lan and gets assisgned an IP address and it can connect to other PC's / Servers on the LAN but it cannot connect to the internet. Other users (also Dell laptops) on the Wireless Lan are OK and we dont have a Proxy server or anything else that stops connectivity . Also if he plugs the laptop onto the Lan using an Ethernet cable everything is OK and the Laptop can Connect to the Internet.

Has anyone seen any simular problems.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Reply to
clenton
Loading thread data ...

The machine could be getting the 169.254.xxx.xxx, which means the O/S timed out trying to get a DHCP IP from the router and the O/S assigned the 169 IP to the NIC. The 169 IP will allow the machine to access other machines on the LAN but the IP will not allow the machine to access the Internet, because it's not using a DHCP IP from the router or the NIC has not been configured to use a static IP on the router.

So what IP does the machine have an IP from the router or the 169 IP, which you can check by using IPconfig /all at the DOS Prompt screen?

Either there is some kind of mis-configuration going on or the card is defective.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane

As I said in the original post it is getting an IP address form the Lan (from our DHCP server) 172.21.131.x and it can access our Corporate servers etc. The Connection to the Wireless access Point is fine and the wep key ect is working fine. It is when it trys to connect to the internet that it fails. Everything is OK when using the Ethernet Adapter and Ethernet Cable.

Reply to
clenton
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

What is the Gateway Address and Netmask? It would be helpful if you posted the entire output of IPCONFIG /ALL.

Reply to
John Navas

If you can pop the wireless card or whatever out of the Dell and put into another one and see if the problem follows, then it might be something with the wireless card.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The wireless Card is an internal card that can't be removed it is on an Intel Centrino Chipset.

As I have said the card itself seems to be working fine because it can connect to the Corp Lan / Wan

Here is the IPconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : AmitGarg Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ltd.upstate.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont roller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-04-98-D0

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ltd.upstate.com Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless

3945ABG Network Connection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-1E-3F-60 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.131.1 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.128.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.128.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.128.21 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.128.23 172.21.128.21 172.17.2.5 Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 172.21.128.21 Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 172.21.128.23 172.17.2.5 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 05 April 2006 09:54:17 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 07 April 2006 09:54:17
Reply to
clenton

You say it "won't connect to the internet" so what are the error messages or results of specific connections?

What happens in IE?

What happens if you go to a command prompt and ping

formatting link

Reply to
David Taylor

Page cannot be dispalyed. (for IE)

Ping

formatting link
request timed out X 4

Reply to
clenton

Ok and now if you tracert

formatting link
(post the full result)

Have you consulted with your network admin to see if there is a restriction for example in the company firewall that would prevent your IP address from routing to the internet?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Have you tried using the wireless connection (the laptop) at a free access wireless spot? I think some public libraries allow you to use their wireless connections.

This should help determine if it is a laptop problem! ;-) I will ASSuME that your laptop's firewall is not causing any problems!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hi

I am the network Admin and there are no restrictions.

I just tested it with a usb wireless card and it worked without any problems. So I will be giving Dell a call very soon.

thanks for the help

Reply to
clenton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.