Hardware suggestions?

Hi,

I am looking for what some manufacturers call a ethernet bridge, others call it an access point, maybe there are more names for it :-). What I need is a wireless device > ethernet, like the : Linksys WET54G Linksys WRT55AG Senao NL-2611CB3DLX RadioLabs NL-3054CB3 Deluxe AP

The RadioLabs NL-3054CB3 Deluxe AP seems a good choice here because it has the most power ( 200mW ) and supports 54 Mbps. It also has an option to connect an remote antenna. Is this a good choice or is the Linksys WRT55AG better in terms of receiving possibilities?

I am looking for high power ( 200mW? ) extra antenna and ethernet connection. Suggestions, good or bad experience anyone?

Thanks

Reply to
Edmund
Loading thread data ...

Those are really different things:

• Wireless Ethernet Bridge is a *client* device. Sometimes called Wireless Game Adapter.

• Wireless Access Point is a *host* device.

Perhaps you mean Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router with Client Mode (essentially Wireless Ethernet Bridge).

See my comments below:

Higher power isn't necessarily going to be helpful unless units at both ends of the connection have higher power -- it doesn't do much good for unit B to punch a hotter signal at unit A if unit A isn't able to do the same thing for unit B. If you only control one end of the connection, it may well be better IM(ns)HO to use a high-gain antenna, which helps both sending and receiving.

You'll want to minimize the cable run between the antenna and the device. Otherwise the cable losses can offset the benefit of the antenna.

Much depends on what you're trying to do ... which is ... ?

Reply to
John Navas

I guess, what I need is the client device, if my information is right all the devices I named are capable of being is "bridge" mode.

Yes you are right about that, how about doing both using an high power device with an high gain or directional antenna? I BTW noticed that sometimes I can receive an rather strong signal but I don't get a connection with my laptop. My guess was I did not have enough power to send to that source.

I like to use it in the motorhome during holidays, and hope for some nice people or companies in the neighborhood which leave there wireless apparatus open for people like me. So the more standards it can work with the better the change is I pick up a useful signal. The reason why I don't want an PCMCIA card or an USB device is that I don't use Windows or MAC and want to prevent software compatability problems with my OS ( the BeOperating System (BeOS))

>
Reply to
Edmund

You're getting permission to use those open networks -- right?

High-gain antenna is your best bet.

Reply to
John Navas

It's quite possible that you were being barred by MAC address.

Reply to
John Navas

Yes there are quite a few companies and private persons who leave there wireless stuff open as a service for costumers. However I am not always sure about private people, if they leave it open as a service or if they don't know how to protect it. I guess no harm done if I once in a while download my email.

Thanks, I go for that.

>
Reply to
Edmund

With notice to that effect.

If they haven't made it clear that leeching is OK, then it's not.

You have no way of knowing that.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

Well, that presents a problem and business oportunity. There's really no easy way to prove to the arresting officer that you have permission to sit outside someones house and use their wireless.

What's needed is a line of wireless accessories that include:

1. A sign posted outside the house showing the SSID and indicating that the wireless is available for general consumption.
  2. Tear off forms on a pad, or credit card size "official authorizations" or "get out of jail free" card.
  3. A file of various state and federal laws suitable for a WULA (wireless user license agreement) that nobody will read.
  4. A setup guide or checklist for the owner to advise on security issues.

Hopefully, these should help make it clear which access points are open or private.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

It's actually quite easy to show that in the SSID; e.g., "JeffNet open access to all"

Absent that, a sign (as in your #1), or some other clear evidence of intentional open access, then leeching isn't OK. Those suggesting otherwise, given this easy option, are simply being disingenuous (or argumentative), IM(no)HO at least.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.