Wireless Problem

I have had a wireless setup at my apartment for the past 10 months and it has worked great until the last couple weeks. My setup includes a D-Link 624 wireless router. I have one computer connected via an ethernet cable and it has worked great. The other computer connects via a wireless card. For the last two weeks, the wireless computer has constantly "dropped" connection to the internet. In order to restore it, I have been going into command prompt and typing:

ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew

The wireless router and wireless computer have been in the same location the whole time. Nothing has changed. I reset my router back to factory settings but that didn't help. Has this happened to anyone? Has my router gone bad? Thank you in advance for your comments/suggestions.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Nosbush
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Adam

Try changing the channel in the Wireless router's menu. By the way, have you made any changes to your system within the last two weeks? Also, please provide the following information:

1. Operating System
  2. WZC or card's wireless utility
  3. Are you seeing a neighbor's wireless network info in your wireless config menu?
  4. Brand and model number of wireless card(s)
Reply to
Doug Jamal

For all you know, there could be another wireless network in your area that the machine is trying to connect to if using the XP O/S.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

My wireless router won't let me change channel; it only allows channel

1. I do see neighbor's wireless networks however I've always seen them since day one.

My operating system is Windows XP. The only thing that may have been changed in the last 2 weeks is Windows updates. My wireless card is an Intel PRO 2200BG. I'm not sure what you mean by card's wireless utility.

Thanks, Grant

Reply to
Grant Nosbush

There are a few others that my computer is picking up but they have been there since day one and it has never been a problem.

Reply to
Grant Nosbush

First of all, the DI-624 will let you change channels. There are 11 to choose from. Channel 6 is the default channel, so to speak. I'll explain why another time. You've stated that you can see your neighbors' WLANs and have been able to since your initial setup. Like another poster stated, your neighbor wireless activities could be affecting your wireless network. Being that you have an Intel PRO 2200BG card installed, it is safe to assume that Windows XP is configuring your wireless network. If so, do the following:

1. In the lower right corner of your desktop in the system tray area, double click on the wireless network connection icon.
  2. Then click on "View Wireless Networks"
  3. Now click on "Change advance settings"
  4. Click on the "Wireless Networks" tab at the top of the screen.
  5. In the "Preferred Networks" section in the center of the screen, click to highlight the name of YOUR wireless network then click on the "Advanced" button.
  6. Click inside the circle located in front of "Access Point (infrastructure) networks only". Afterwards, uncheck the box that reads "Automatically connect to nonpreferred networks.
  7. Click on the "close" button and OK your way back to your desktop.

If any of your neighbors' have a strong wireless signal, it is possible that your network was trying to connect to it in lieu of yours, especially if you had your wireless card set to access ANY available networks and to connect to NONPREFERRED networks. If that was indeed the case, then the instructions above should alleviate the problem. Also, are you using encryption? If not, please use it. Now back to the channel issue. If your neighbor is on the same channel as you are, there is a high probability that you will experience dropped conections and other interferences. Again, try changing the channel. To do so, enter your DI-624's menu and change the super G mode from "super G with dynamic turbo" to super G without turbo. Believe me, you won't notice a change in speed. After making the change, you should be able to change channels. Chat with you later.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

I suggest that you change channels away from the default everyone else in the world uses or if it's XP that you're using then disable Wireless Zero Configuration Service.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.