192.168.0.1 router weirdness vs ICS

Awhile ago I helped a neighbor setup their DLink WiFi router. I recall having some Windows issues trying to get setup and connect directly to the router @ 192.168.0.1... Most of my stuff is all at 192.168.1.xxx

I was wondering if others have run into these bumps trying to get XP, Vista, etc - connected directly to a router @ 192.168.0.1 vs having Windows think it's Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

You should have no trouble is the router is handing out a proper address and netmask by DHCP. Otherwise you need to manually configure an address and netmask on the same subnet. If not, Windows will configure an automatic address and netmask that won't work.

Reply to
John Navas

Hmmm, You're in control of all the settings. You can even change the router address if you want and manually set IP address for devices or let the Windows do it on it's own, then it'll create confusion 'coz every time things would look different. I have a three level(basement to upstairs) home network with mixed OS, WXP, Vista, 7 and Apple Mabook plus wireless network printer on dual band router. Everything works just fine.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

let me clarify - we've setup devices lots of times.... just not with the default IP of 192.168.0.1 I needed to connect to it directly and config - so did the usual static IP assign, and set things up. but... in getting some of the other computers in the house to connect, it seemed like anything involving the 192.168.0.1 address caused some grief or conflict or confusion. It's been awhile - so don't recall the details exactly.... but it was like Windows was trying to connect via ICS...

Anyway - was over there today, as they got hit with a website malware drive-by..... Booted into Safe Mode - deleted the bogus stuff from the RUN registry area, reset the "proxy checkmark" for the browser, and deleted some of the bogus files... All is better - but was recalling when I stumbled across the .0.1 IP address speed bump.

vs seeing the router....

Reply to
ps56k

Model number? (You could have guessed that was coming).

Windoze NT, 2000, XP, Vista, or Windoze 7?

Directly means via ethernet or via wireless? Since this is a wireless newgroup, I'll assume wireless.

Not a problem unless you have a static IP address setup for your Windoze client. DHCP should be working and assign you a usable

192.168.0.xxx IP address. However, WZC (wireless zero config) is an irritable monster, that likes to retain associations long after the router has gone away. If IPCONFIG reports that you're still using IP addresses from a previous wireless connection, the ritual is: IPCONFIG /release (wait about 10 seconds) IPCONFIG /renew IPCONFIG (to see if it worked). If it complains on release, you have a static IP address set.

Ummm... I don't understand the question. Do you have ICS running? I can't think of a reason to invoke the ICS abomination if you have a perfectly good working DHCP server. In effect, ICS acts as a DHCP server and delivers an IP to any client that connects to the computer on which it's running. If you plug your computer into a router, that has DHCP running, you now have two DHCP servers running on the network. That's a lousy idea, but amazingly, it will function. However, it will not assign an IP address in the same Class C block as the computer to router connection because it thinks that's the WAN IP block. (Yes, you can have the LAN and WAN running on the same ethernet cable).

So, kindly disable the evil ICS abomination, if you have it running, and use the DHCP server in your unspecified model DLink router. Life will be much simpler.

If you need some entertainment value, try Weird Solutions DHCP Query Tool, mirrored at: 2.6MB This used to be a free download from their web site, but disappeared about 3 years ago. Run it and see how many devices respond to DHCP requests and what they return.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

some manufacturers use 192.168.1.1 as a starting ip address, and others use

192.168.0.1 as a starting address (note some .0. others .1.).. i just check/change the starting ip address on new stuff (.0. to .1.) and the rest works fine (usually)...
Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks Jeff, that sounds VERY handy. Saved. Just hope I remember about it when I need it next.

Regarding the ps256k.

There are a few special IP addresses however nothing beginning with 192. is special.

224.0.0.0 and upwards are special and anything beginning "127.".

These should not be used.

As long as all the devices agree on network and subnet mask and default gateway and dns server all should be well.

e.g.

The all begin 192.168.0. and all have the netmask 255.255.255.0

The netmask/address combination tells the PC or router the range of address that are on the local network and which are remote. Remote addresses are reached via the default gateway.

192.168.0.x 255.255.255.0 Means:- The range 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254 are local. The .0 and .255 addresses are special and are not used for hosts (e.g. PCs) or routers.

More in any book on IP.

192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 Means:- The range 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 are local.

192.168.0.x 255.255.0.0 Means:- The range 192.168.0.1-192.168.255.254 are local. i.e. 64k addresses.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.