Signal quality problems w. DI-624+

I recently installed a WLAN router in my apartment for accessing the Internet and sharing files between 3 PCs. For Security I have WPA-PSK (highest standard this relatively old router allows) and a MAC address filter activated. The whole setup worked fine for a couple of weeks, but recently I've been getting really bad signal quality, causing the network speed to drop down to 11Mbps (theoretically I should be at

54Mbit/s). I noticed that my WLAN Card on my PC can see multiple other Access Points in the immediate area, so i changed the Wireless Channel setting in my router to a channel that wasn't being used by one of the other visible WLANs - which improved my speed for a while. The last few days multiple new WLAN Sites have popped up (guess i know what a couple of my neighbors got for Christmas ;-) ), and *boom* - my signal quality droped. Does anyone have any tips as what i can do to improve my WLAN signal quality?

I'm using a D-Link DI-624+, Rev. A with the latest firmware found on the D-Link website, my Pc has a cheepo Sitecom 54Mbit WLAN PCI card with the newest Firmware and Drivers installed.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Reply to
reah23
Loading thread data ...

Try this

formatting link

Reply to
me here

On 31 Dec 2006 04:18:03 -0800, "reah23" wrote in :

Good.

Bad. Won't help, and all too often hurts.

Likely interference. See wikis below.

Only with no interference at relatively close range. Speed falls off with distance and interference.

Possible sources of interference, but there are lots of others.

Generally a good idea. Start with channels 1, 6, 11.

More interference.

Directional antenna(s). Change to 802.11a.

Avoid cheepo products. I use and recommend Buffalo at the low end.

Reply to
John Navas

Not really. WPA-PSK according to some is easier to break then WEP was. WPA-EAS is much more secure.

Better off with a newer router and a RADIUS server.

The 624s are horrid anyway, I had one that would just stop routing internet bound traffic through the wireless interface after it was on for a few hours. A total piece of junk.

The 634M has proven a much better router.

Reply to
Andy

"Andy" hath wroth:

Reference please? I know that short WPA pass phrases can be cracked with a brute force attack. Got a new exploit or cracking tool?

There's also a question of how much better WPA2 is over just WPA-PSK. You can pile on as much additional security as one feels necessary (e.g. VPN) but the initial step of using WPA with a greater than 20 char non-dictionary pass phrase will be more then adequate for most users.

Do you mean WPA-AES (which is the same as WPA2)?

Sure. However, setting up a RADIUS server to deliver random WPA keys for 3 machines is a bit of overkill. A reasonably convoluted WPA2 pass phrase will do just as well.

One of my customers had a similar problem. It seems that he had RIP2 enabled on his router. One of his machines was spewing some garbage that the router interpreted at a RIP route update and would change the default gateway setting in the router. It would show up on the status page as garbage. The effect was similar to what you're seeing.

I couldn't find such a model number. There is a WGT634U model. Thou shalt not abrev or trunc.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Andy" hath wroth:

Reference please? I know that short WPA pass phrases can be cracked with a brute force attack. Got a new exploit or cracking tool?

There's also a question of how much better WPA2 is over just WPA-PSK. You can pile on as much additional security as one feels necessary (e.g. VPN) but the initial step of using WPA with a greater than 20 char non-dictionary pass phrase will be more then adequate for most users.

Do you mean WPA-AES (which is the same as WPA2)?

Sure. However, setting up a RADIUS server to deliver random WPA keys for 3 machines is a bit of overkill. A reasonably convoluted WPA2 pass phrase will do just as well.

One of my customers had a similar problem. It seems that he had RIP2 enabled on his router. One of his machines was spewing some garbage that the router interpreted at a RIP route update and would change the default gateway setting in the router. It would show up on the status page as garbage. The effect was similar to what you're seeing.

I couldn't find such a model number. There is a WGT634U model. Thou shalt not abrev or trunc.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.