Problem with Wireless

Hi,

My wireless card is picking up all available networks and seems to be working fine, however it cannot get an IP address. I went to command prompt and when typing IPCONFIG I get the following error: __________________________________________________________ Windows IP Configuration An internal error occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help. Additional information: Unknown media status code. __________________________________________________________

Additionally: No error is listed in the device manager and in network connection the wireless appears as "Connected, Firewalled"

Icon on tray shows activity, but no connection is available to the network.

I tried the command "netsh winsock reset catalog" and it did not work (I thought it did for a few moments!!!)

Now I just noticed that if I plug a cable to the Ethernet adapter and run "IPCONFIG" both the wireless and the ethernet have an IP, although the wireless is getting a 192.168.1.xxx and it should be a 192.168.0.xxx. As soon as I take the cable out, the error message above appears when I run IPCONFIG.

Thanks in advance.

PA

Reply to
PA
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:09:09 -0000, "PA" wrote in :

See

Reply to
John Navas

The "Routing and Remote access" service is not enabled on any of my XP SP2 Home machines and have no connectivity problems.

formatting link

Reply to
Kev

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:13:30 +0000, Kev wrote in :

I know from personal experience that this _does_ work as a fix.

Reply to
John Navas

Try running WinsockXPFix.exe, available from here:-

formatting link

Reply to
Kev

Hi, Thanks for the help. I tried and now I am getting an IP, but the "wrong" one. my home network is setup for 192.168.0.xxx and my wireless is picking up 192.168.1.2.

Any suggestion?

PA

Reply to
PA

Assigned an IP by whom/what? Is there an AP you're trying to associate with? Then look at what IPs it's handing out. Simple enough- connect dots. All those interfaces that'll talk to each other locally (do ARP) will have to be made to be on same subnet, per mask. But you knew that. :')

You may have to make temporary change(s) to IPs to have hosts communicate during setup. And you should use ethernet temporarily.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:43:13 -0000, "PA" wrote in :

1. Make sure there is one and only one DHCP server on the network

1. Check DHCP server settings to make sure it's configured for the correct address range

2. Check wireless adapter to make sure it's configured for DHCP (not manual IP)

1. Run the script at , copy the results, and post them here

2. If all else fails, hard reset router to hardware defaults, and start over
Reply to
John Navas

If your ipconfig is now working could you post the results of ipconfig /all and does the default gateway IP correspond to your network or perhaps one of your neighbours?

Reply to
Kev

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.