wireless "Not Connected" but getting Internet

Hi, I have a Netgear wireless router and I used to use WPA encryption. It works fine with that. When I switch the router to WEP (Automatic), the laptop doesn't detect the connection soon enough, and sometimes takes very long. When I do a manual connection, it says "Connected" for a second and then says "Not Connected". However, in the "Not Connected" state on WEP, I can still acces internet. I have a Broadcom wireless card 4318 (in-built). The reason for going to WEP instead of the fine-working WPA is that I made my laptop dual-boot with Ubuntu, and the defalt wireless security is WEP and doesn't have any other options.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Reply to
PGPS
Loading thread data ...

On 2 May 2007 17:30:30 -0700, PGPS wrote in :

Don't use WEP -- it's too easily cracked to be of any real value. That said, if you insist on using WEP, re-enter _all_ keys in _hex_ (not characters) -- otherwise key mismatch is likely.

Reply to
John Navas

PGPS hath wroth:

If you must use WEP, use the Hex key instead of the ASCII key. There are ASCII to Hex conversion oddities.

Baloney. WEP is very insecure. The latest cracker tools will extract the WEP key in seconds.

WPA with a non-dictionary pass phrase is the way to go. I don't see the problem with Ubuntu:

formatting link
has been supported with the BCM4318 since about June 2006.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What version of Ubuntu are you using? I am currently dual booting with Windows Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.04 and I can assure you that Ubuntu, at least the version I have, supports WPA/WPA2. Not only did Ubuntu recognize my wireless card (Intel 3945abg) right out of the box, it also detected my wireless AP and knew that it was using WPA2. It asked for my passphrase and upon entering it, I was connected almost immediately. With that in mind, I recommend that you take the advice of the people in this newsgroup and use WPA instead of WEP. Anyway, take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.